View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 01:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE...... the "poor man's" T206 Joe Doyle "Nat'L" card Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Frank

My explanation of why OLD MILL, POLAR, BEAR, SWEET CAPORAL (besides PIEDMONT) is simple. Before the printer(s) at American Litho realized they left the remnant of the "N"
when they initially erased "Nat'L" from the printing plate, they printed several T-brands on the backs of the pre-printed (front) sheets. Then, some "keen-eyed" printer spotted it
and completely erased this mark on the plate.
TED Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I don't think that's accurate Ted, the ones with the partial N were made from a particular plate and the small remnant was most likely never spotted or
removed.
Pat

I don't understand what you mean by "a particular plate" ?

Perhaps the description in my above post isn't clear. So, I will try to elucidate here......

(A) American Litho (ALC) initially printed (incorrectly) the front of Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L card. Followed by the back with the PIEDMONT 350 advertisement.
ALC usually printed the PIEDMONT backs first and in a much greater amount. PIEDMONT was ATC's "flagship" Tobacco brand.

(B) An astute ALC employee caught this error (Nat'L) and quickly stopped the press. They removed the word "Nat'L" from the plate which prints the captions.
However, in the process the printer left a tiny remnant of the "N" on the caption plate.

(C) ALC then continued to print Joe Doyle N. Y. . cards. And at this point they also started to print the OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR, and SWEET CAPORAL backs.

(D) A keen-eyed ALC employee spotted the extraneous printer's mark and stopped the presses. And again the plate which printed the captions was cleared of
this extraneous mark.

(E) ALC then continued printing the correct Joe Doyle cards (with PIEDMONT,
EPDG, OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR, SOVEREIGN, SWEET CAP, and TOLSTOI backs).

Hey guys, although this is my theory of the events that transpired at ALC in this matter....it is based on my experience working at a Print Shop in my youth.

TED Z