View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Default Newbies will be afraid to post or ask questions

Posted By: Darren J Duet

A "NEWBIE" to this board is more than likely not a "NEWBIE" in life or even in collecting old cardboard. Two rules good rule in business, life, whatever are:

1)Take nothing personally.
2)Nothing is personal.

I for one am relatively new to this board and have been greeted with the occasional sarcastic remark but mostly I have been well received. I am thankful to all the people who make this board GREAT and have a similar passion for cards. I know many great collector's of the old stuff who have no idea a forum like this exist and they have never been to a National, or even a card show. One gentleman, a patient of mine, is 92 years old and has one of the most awesome collection of cards I have ever witnessed(he's collected for over 85 years). The great thing about him is that he has never paid over $1 for any of his cards--He quit buying in 1970 after he realized they longer made mickey mantle cards. My point is that there are more "serious" card people out there other than this board as there are more vintage cards out there than are in our collections or for sale.

When a veteran of this board gives a sarcastic or OT answer I don't take it personally nor do I believe it's meant to be personal. It's like I'm an intern again and my upper levels are ensuring I'm serious about what I'm doing. Even though I'm far from being an intern in collecting vintage (i've been doing so for 29 years) I am a rookie on this board and I have the utmost respect for its founders and veterans.