View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 10:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

I'm maybe not remembering this correctly, but I recall Mike Shannon saying something once about back in the day, no one wanted to interrupt Bob Gibson when he was pitching. On a hot summer day in July or August, Gibson had gotten into a jam, in the late innings. Manager Schoendienst wanted someone to go talk to Gibson and settle him down, but Schoendienst would say something to a coach to go out and talk to Bob Gibson. It'd be high humidity and in the high 90s. No one wanted to go out there and interrupt Gibson . One day, when some coach was forced out to the mound, play stopped, the infielders and McCarver gathered at the mound as Bob Gibson glared at each of them. The coach tries to say something about how to pitch the next batter. McCarver says something, and Gibson looks at him and says "what the hell are you doing out here? The only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it." The story went that McCarver turned and returned to the plate.

I'm annoyed with myself, I've been digging around trying to find a McCarver card. I know I have a near set of 1967 Topps, but can't find that binder tonight. and I have several 60's cards, I think 62, and I'm certain I have a 64, 65, 66... But I can't locate the box that they should be in. Grrrrr... I did find a Morris Berg business card indicating that he was with the Commerce Department in Washington DC, as well as two 90 year old golf cards depicting Bobby Jones. But no McCarver card. This thread needs a card.

Nice scorecard and ticket stubs, Collectorsince62!!!!

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-16-2023 at 10:35 PM.