View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 11:36 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Bro ... bro ... people were saying the same thing about Vegas Dave, remember?

Ohhh, that guy has so much cash! Look at his stuff! Look at his properties, look at his cars, look at his hot girl, etc. He is just having fun with his cards and he doesn't really care ... blah, blah, blah ...

And then one of his ex-friends posted on social media that Dave wanted to make fake comps, so that he could sell his Trouts for big bucks! Money makes people do crazy things.

And regarding the sneaker heads, well, do these guys like to bid twenty-plus times on a single listing? A lot of people are complaining about that, bro. It's not only on this forum or the Blowout Forum, but all over the Internet people are pointing this out. And I don't know about "new money," but it does look like a lot of these cards are attracting "new shillers!"

Anyways, you should really consider parting with one of your PSA 9 All-star Hogans now. And with the money, you should go after a Goudey Ruth or a T206 Cobb or a Leaf Jackie or a Topps Mantle. One thing I learned about 2016 is that it is always good to diversify. And what's happening now only reminded me to take another good look at my collection and to make sure that I'm not putting too much money into one sport.

I didn't read threads about Vegas Dave. I will say he was very smart so anyone hating on him can say all they want but he is laughing all the way to the bank. I personally don't see the comparison as he is betting guy vs. someone who gets paid $150,000 an hour to speak and runs legit business's and is on CNBC frequently. Last year I sold him an 82 Hogan at a very fair price with the sole intent that he would put it on Twitter and if so it would be good for the rest of my cards. At a work happy hour some co workers mentioned they looked into having him as a guest speaker for clients but his cost was $150,000+ and opted not to. I said you guys will love this I sold him a wrestling card. They were like you can't be serious. I said here check it out. His overall profile in the business world is radically different than Vegas Dave.

I have sold a handful of cards to Gary since and one was $53. He is buying what he likes where in the case of Vegas Dave he went after marquee stuff only. I have recently sold another wrestling card to someone I looked up online and is very close to Gary and clearly a major mover and shaker and it was only $150. There are buyers coming in who simply want to participate.

I can't speak to the sneaker heads bidding styles. I do some funky bidding sometimes to try and throw people off. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't. I tried this recently and got sniped at the end. The only thing I care about with bidding is you don't retract bids and you pay when you win. Everything else is just noise.

I am on Twitter and active and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the number of collectors in the card hobby has exploded. All one must do is read tweets from the top social media "stars" like Gary V and Phil Hughes and you will see what is taking place. Bid lists for so many cards are getting longer and if you go to Watchcount.com you will see the number of watchers is up dramatically too. This is so easy to see if you venture outside of traditional card message boards.

In terms of a Hogan 9. I have no interest in selling any. I have sold two copies in the past twelve months but acquired many more and I am up to 30 in total. I believe in picking big winners and buying a lot of them and seeing how it plays out. If they collapse one day I won't be excited but life won't change and I am not willing to give up on what I believe is happening. I have stayed bullish on cards for ten years and bought lots along the way and I think we are in a massive uptrend and I am going to play my hand that way. I self grade lots of my cards so this is one of the rare places in life where you can be an insider and have a real shot to win. Long gone are the days of bringing your best cards to a shop and getting offers of 20 to 50% of active retail. The internet has given the collector power and so we all have a shot to win.

You can look at almost any genre and see massive momentum and I don't think it is going to stop anytime soon. Cards are like drugs and once people get hooked it is hard to stop.