View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 02:21 PM
John Donovan

Default Donruss Elite insert cards from the 90's

Let's use this thread to post pictures of those ELUSIVE Donruss Elite inserts from the 90's.

After 30+ years of trying to pull a 1991 Donruss Elite insert from a pack, I FINALLY GAVE UP and bought one.

I've been fascinated by these cards ever since they were first listed in the Beckett price guide in 1991...while all the other cards in the 1991 Donruss set were valued between $0.10 and $4.00, those Elite's were listed at $200+. I was starstruck. I never pulled one. None of my friends ever pulled one. Anytime I've come across cheaply available 1991 Donruss wax boxes over the last 30 years, I've always purchased them with the goal of pulling an Elite.

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one in person until I opened my mail today.

At 10,000 copies each they aren't particularly rare...there are always many available on eBay at any given time. But due to print runs, I know the odds are that to pull one you would have to open several CASES of cards (I've opened lots of boxes, but not THAT many).

It was kind of anti-climactic to get one on ebay. It sort of felt like cheating. I held out as long as I could. And I'll probably still buy boxes if I come across them cheaply.

But the kid in me is thrilled to finally OWN A DONRUSS ELITE CARD!

As a lifelong Royals fan, it was obvious which one I was going to buy. Here it is in all it's shiny glory. I think I might crack it out. (let's see yours!)

elitebrett.jpg