View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 07:52 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I built the '91 and '92 Donruss sets from packs back in, well, '91 and '92 and never sniffed an Elite.

30 years go by, parts of the collection get sold off, but I decide to turn my attention to junk wax to take it easy on my wallet and just have some fun.

I set about building these sets again from wax boxes. I order 2 1992 Donruss boxes (forget the series - maybe one of each) about a year ago. EACH ONE contained an Elite - One was Gooden, forget what the other one was. That has to be some sort of record for buying multiple boxes and each containing one!
That is amazing luck! Did you order any more boxes from that same seller? I wonder if he had a "hot case" or something, where every box had an Elite?

Also, I like the idea of building junk wax sets for a cheap alternative to a vintage set build. I've been trying to decide on a similar project. I recently completed my 1952 Bowman set...which was a lot of fun to put together, but not exactly cheap. So I'm considered a junk wax project. Maybe a complete run of the Donruss Diamond Kings subsets?