View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Ron Rice

Default Investments

The investment question comes up quite often. I'm sure a few collectors will chime in and say that you can't count on an old piece of cardboard to be a growth investment. It's pretty speculative to think that a $5000 card will be worth $6000 in a couple of years. Another problem is that when you go to sell you will have some fees or the buyer will have some fees if they are buying your card in one of the big auctions. The card might sell for $6000, but your proceeds from the sale might be $5000.

I don't like investing in NMT-MT cards because I'm skeptical that an antique card could have survived in that condition without being trimmed or doctored. If the technology to detect trimming gets a little better, it could become obvious that they should not be in the plastic slabs graded as 8's and 9's.

Vintagecardpricing is a great way to track prior sales of a particular card in the same condition. You can also see trends over the last 5 years. I look for cards that are EX to NMT and have low populations. Sooner of later, collectors will be working on quality sets and will drive the prices up.