Thread: New HOFers
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 09:34 PM
Brad Jerome

I have seen there has been a lot of animosity for Dick Allen's exclusion this time around. I have no ill will towards any of the new Hall of Famers. In the case of Oliva and Kaat, I am very happy to see them enshrined while still alive. Hodges was so long overdue. Several factors led to his exclusion. He was kind of lost in the shuffle of those legendary Dodgers Teams he played for. I would say it wasn't until he managed the Miracle Mets to their 69 Title that he really got looked at for something directly related to him. Then just a couple seasons following that win he suddenly passed away very young. Following his death was also an offensive explosion which made his career numbers pale in comparison to what they were at the time of his retirement. Hodges candidacy found ways to lose out. I am very happy that his widow was alive to know he is a Hall of Famer. Many say what they say about Harold Baines. I look at it this way. Did Harold Baines play his way into Hall of Fame Conversation? In my opinion that is an overwhelming yes. If you have played your way into the conversation, there's a chance! As far as Allen goes, this clearing of a log jam may just be the best thing for his candidacy. Now that several players are off the ballot, that will make the choice much easier when that era comes back up in 5 years. None of the rest of the names on the Golden Era Ballot names outside of Allen strike me as a Hall of Famer.