View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I understand this isn't high stakes, but I'm somehow really enjoying this breakdown. Glad you're taking the time to present this to us.

I've always kind of liked the obscure "cup of coffee" type athletes. In my own specialty one of my favorite things to do is matching up nearly forgotten boxers with ancestral family members. There isn't much money to be made doing that, but it gives me a bit of thrill every time it happens.

I've actually dabbled with the thought of breaking up large cheap lots of minor league cards for this very purpose before.....but then realized I have 10's of thousands of other things put away in storage I'll probably never get the chance to list on one venue or another that would take precedence over doing this.
Glad you're enjoying it...and yes, this is whatever the polar opposite of "high stakes" is.

Clearly this is a hobby...any potential profit here is not worth the effort it'll take. But I was curious if a profit could be turned, and the sets are a lot of fun to review. And if I get a few cards and sets into the hands of people who want them, all the better.

You raise a good point about the random minor league cards that people actually buy...I always wonder about why. Do they remember the player from attending games of the minor league team? Are they a friend? Family member?

That's cool about the boxing cards and family. I bet you make some people very happy!