View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default Highest Price Baseball Related

Posted By: davidcycleback

In general, I beleive the most expensive baseball items are significant even Babe Ruth game used bats and uniforms. I beleive a significant Ruth game used item has already sold more than the PSA8 T206 Honus Wagner.

Interestingly, a Joe Jackson game used bat twice sold for less than the PSA8 Wagner. The bat had impecable documented provenance, as it was described in Jackson's signed will, with the bat being willed to his wife. Futher, there were published interviews with a retired Jackson in which he talks about, and I beleive is pictured with, the bat ... You can argue about this or that, but I would think owning Joe Jackson's Black Betsy would be the ultimate piece of baseball memorabilia that exists.

Another case of great provenance, was a Leland's Babe Ruth game bat. The bat was won in a contest way back by a kid, who as an eldery man was the consignor! Included were vintage newspaper articles describing the contest and naming the winner (the consignor). Best of all, the auction incuded the original letter from Babe Ruth to the kid congratulating him on a Babe Ruth game used bat.