View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Alan,

Do you have a checklist with all the Orioles team issue postcards? Weren't you working on that project, with pictures included?

When I was young I really didn't know a lot about team issue postcards even though I saw a few back then, but really didn't know what they were. I do have a few now and they are some of my favorite items. The Brooks you pictured, the one with the rookie card photo, I've been looking for an unsigned version for I don't know how long now. I've seen one, but it wasn't available for sale; maybe I'll find one some day. Is the one you listed been sent through the mail? If so, what is the date of mailing?
Ed Allan from Maryland compiled a checklist of Orioles postcards with the help of other collectors, probably 20 years ago, that most people use as the standard. He continues to update it each year with new issues and discoveries of older unknown postcards. To date, I believe there are 2,863
different ones from 1954-2019. Every year we cross our fingers that the Orioles continue to print them. On Mondays and Thursdays, during the season, the Orioles have local old timers (Orioles alumni) signing autographs before the game. Postcards are printed for those players, but they are in a little different format from the regular issue. A lot of the same players appear each year and the Orioles tend to use the same postcard over and over, so there aren't many new alumni postcards each year. Here's a link to Ed's website with some of the recent issues. At one time, he was selling copies of his checklist, including pictures, upon request. I have one up to 2012 and have been adding my own updated pages since then. I don't know if he is still printing the book or not.

http://edallan.atwebpages.com/

Mark,
I'll gladly send you any info you would like or maybe you need to make a trip to Sarasota during spring training for a game and we can catch up then.

The autographed Brooks Robinson postcard is postmarked Aug 14, 1957. It is harder to find than the other pose, in my opinion. Again, that could be that Brooks wasn't as well known early in his career and didn't get the fan mail that some of the others got.