View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernieto View Post
ouch!

I never used one on ebay before - I admit it. The ability of N54 members to pick out a fake is far greater than the general public's ability.
N54 members vs TPG's now....I don't know!
I know you guys are all brilliant, but even if you think you have eagle-eyes like Paul's, if you are thinking about buying a valuable card and you have any doubt whatsoever, my own personal opinion is that you should take out your loupe and waste 3 seconds verifying the veracity of your peepers. With lithos it's a very easy test.

I doubt anyone here would buy a Wagner without seeing it in person, so my loupe idea is probably do-able. The guy who won this Wagner obviously didn't have that option, but the card was advertised as a 'reprint'. That was enough for me to move on when I saw the listing - since the scan looked like a real card, I assumed that the seller had printed off a photo of a real Wagner and roughed it up. I still think that's what he did - it would take some work, but it wouldn't be too hard to glue good front and back photos to a thin piece of cardboard and rough it up.

Spending $177 on that card was like buying a lottery ticket for a lottery that was over.