View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Hi Jason -

Nice to meet you! I'm trying to do something similar although a bit broader. My three overlapping goals are (1) at least one playing-era card of as many HOFers as possible; (2) complete HOF runs of as many pre-1986 Topps sets as possible; and (3) complete Topps runs of as many HOFers as possible 1953-85 (knowing that the '52s are just never going to happen ). I'm limiting it to just the main Topps base card, so no league leaders, all-stars, etc.

For the '70s, yeah, it's great what you can get for a couple bucks a card. I like the price-restriction challenges you've put in place - of course Mantle's conveniently timed retirement helps a lot . Are you going to punt on condition for cards like the Schmidt rookie or 70T Ryan? Probably have to for $25 unless you happened to have them already.

The other challenge in keeping the per-card cost down is eBay sales tax and shipping charges (unless you've been able to buy a lot of them in person), or are you not counting that?

Anyway, cool project, and if you have any doubles, maybe we can work out a trade at some point.
Good question on price and eBay. My plan includes buying cards in lots and selling what I don’t need to keep net cost low