View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 03:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default 2 words - set registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Assuming you're looking for a graded card, you will likely get a better card for your money with an SGC or BVG than a PSA.

Prices are rising across the board, but according to Vintage Card Prices (an invaluable resource), PSA 2s have been selling for a little over $2k on average (range between $1500 and $2950), whereas SGC 2s range from $890 to $1540, average of $1290.

Of course that only speaks to a nicer card for you to have. In terms of resale value, the market currently puts a premium on PSA graded cards over others (as shown above) because...??? As far as I can tell, there is no factual basis for why the market does that (and a lot of reasons not to), just "that's what the market does." Will it continue to be that way in the future? Who knows - I would like to think not, but a lot of irrational beliefs are proving to be pretty durable these days.
My belief as to the primary reason why PSA cards sell for more has everything to do with the PSA set registry - a forum where people compete for the best cards and sets - all in PSA holders. While an easy argument could be made to support that SGC and BVG are as competent (or incompetent) at actual grading - neither has competition for the PSA set registry.