View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 04:07 PM

For what it may be worth to any of you, I wrote a book about the immediate post-war regional / food issues, entitled Never Cheaper By the Dozen : Those Special "Free Prize" Sports Collectibles from the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971. I must say straight off that my book is an E-book on a CD, to be read by inserting it in the disk drive of your computer or laptop, IF it has that slowly-antiquating technology. At nearly 470 pages, you shan't be short-changed for your money, I assure you.

The reason I am posting is because my seventh chapter is devoted to Coca-Cola's football caps, baseball caps, and the gorgeous premium baseball cards Coke commissioned the Dexter Press printing company to prepare for their large-scale promotion in 1967 (i.e. the OP). Cards were available in 1968 as well, but on a much smaller scale, as well as size. Therefore, I concentrated on their grandiose first baseball issue. Experts of the set would probably not be enlightened, but collectors with a fancy for such cards would be given much to melt their hearts. Funny, for my one fancy photo, I included two graded cards, one of which was Ernie Banks, my childhood hero.

Long to short, should any of you be intrigued enough to desire a copy, Google the title, and you shall find the 2016 press release from Sports Collectors Digest, written by then-editor Tom Bartsch, which includes a nice overview and ordering instructions. Also, a Google search will send you to a pair of Sports Collectors Daily articles written by Rich Mueller.

I warn you, if it's a checklist you wish for, my book is not about checklists. Those may be found elsewhere.

Have a Coke and a smile. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-13-2021 at 04:09 PM.