View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 05:03 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I have long wondered who the photographer was? He was certainly a master of working with light. I suppose he could have been a she. That might explain why just about every player in the set seems like he's in such a good mood. Or maybe the photographer brought a pretty woman along to flirt with the players. I would have done it. They're all smiling and seem relaxed.

I like every photo in the set except the one of Alvin Dark. To have so many great shots, it makes me wonder how many shots of each player were taken. And what became of the negatives. I'm guessing they also photographed a bunch of players who never made it into the set.
I wonder if the negatives became part of the purchase when Bowman sold their operations and archives to Topps in 1956. As for additional photographs, I don't know if anyone has weighed in with any evidence. The 53 Bowman color set hasn't been the subject of deep analysis. I am hoping that through this thread collectors could share their knowledge of the history of this particular set, its peculiarities, and display what we have collected. For example, I never knew until recently that there are five test cards that were never issued for the set.