View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Lipset Auction -- Ruth Rookie Question

Posted By: Andy Baran

I spoke to Lew about the Ruth card yesterday. It is definitely from the later M101-4 series, not the M101-5 series as he has it listed. He said that he would make the correction.

As far as I know, the only possible backs that a true Ruth rookie card (M101-5) can have are Blank & Famous & Barr. However, it is my belief that the majority of Blank back cards out there are from the M101-4 series. With the exception of 1 card (a Bancroft owned by Brett Domue), every other Famous & Barr that I have ever seen is from the M101-5 series. A Ruth with any other back (including Sporting News) is from the M101-4 set. The only possible exception that I can think of is Holmes to Homes, but there are not enough examples known to make an accurate statement about which set(s) they are from. I don't think that a Ruth with a Holmes to Homes back is even known.

If anyone is looking for an M101-5 Ruth Rookie with a Famous & Barr back, there will be one an SGC 40 holder in the upcoming Robert Edwards Spring Auction (shameless plug)