View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

I thought I would chime in on some of the names mentioned in this post, as I only collect HOFers, I attend Induction Weekend every year in Cooperstown, and have a pretty good pulse on what is going on. As someone mentioned before, it needs to be better defined as to what difficult is. Monte Irvin is in absolute abundance, but if you are working on your own multi-signed piece, his days of signing are over.

Tom Seaver: I took a break from collecting from 1999 to 2004 or so. I remember when I got back into it, he was everywhere. In fact, I remember people complaining that MAB kept recycling Seaver and Berra at every show.

Monte Irvin: Unfortunately his signing days are over. But he was a signing machine TTM for the longest time. There are an abundance of his autos on the market.

Willie Mays: I have actually been in the market for a signed ball from him, and I was surprised about the abundance of his autos, available for a decent price, on the market. You can get an authenticated OMLB for $125-ish delivered. Although he has not done a signing in quite some time. I know there was a gentleman on sportscollectors.net who was trying to get a private signing (cards only) set up with him during spring training last year. I think it was in the $300-ish range. The signing was postponed, as Willie had some health issues, but I do believe he is going to try again for next spring training.

Hank Aaron: He does a signing once or twice a year through Waukesha Sports and a guy on Sportscollectors.net usually puts together a bulk discount signing on cards.

Willie McCovey: He’s good for a signing once or so a year. There was just recently a guy on sportscollectors.net who was just recently gauging interest on him. I believe prices started around $85 for flats/balls. MAB just did a signing with him earlier this year. I don’t believe he is in the best health, so if you need him, you might want to jump on the next one.

Bench: I did not hear anything about his health. He has been in Cooperstown the past few summers, was at the AS game this year, etc. He appears to be doing fine. He also signs through his foundation, with prices starting at $60.

Roberto Alomar: I think the reference to him in this thread must have been in person graphing, because he is quite prevalent on the show circuit.
Sandy Koufax: Probably the toughest living HOFer. Although he seems to sign a decent amount IP with the Dodgers in spring training if you put the time in, and will do a paid signing (although not cheap). Last private signing was March 2015 with prices starting at $395.

Joe Torre: Does signings through Steiner Sports – they just aren’t cheap.

Pedro Martinez: I feel like Pedro did quite a tour on the show circuit this year. I know he appeared with MAB the Monday after his induction, and I feel like he was at a few other shows. National maybe?

Frank Thomas: Actually, I would say he is on the show circuit the most out of the HOFers. He’s a pretty easy graph to obtain.

Greg Maddux: Difficult, but not impossible. There have been a few paid signings with him through sportscollectors.net, and I know he did an appearance on Saturday of Induction Weekend in Cooperstown.

Joe Morgan: I, too, was worried about Joe’s health when I saw him walking with a cane at the AS and HOF Induction Weekend. But apparently it is hip or knee related, and temporary. Not something that should take him away from us too soon.

Whitey Ford: I will add my own thoughts on Whitey Ford. He appears to have really slowed down from the show circuit, although he did do an appearance with MAB in Cooperstown over the summer during Induction Weekend. He looked great to me. Prices were a bit steep - maybe starting over $100 if I recall? If it is a piece you want to risk, I believe he still answers fan mail; starting at around $50. PM me for more info.

George Brett: I am also going to add George Brett. He usually does an appearance once every two to three years. I know a guy on SCN is working on something for him for spring 2016 – with prices starting around $130 or so. He’s not on the show circuit much, and he’s pretty hit and miss if you run into him.

Yaz-Also throwing Yaz onto this list. He doesn’t travel too much anymore, and does one appearance per year, in the fall, through Dick Gordon Sports. A guy on SCN puts together a bulk order, with cards at $60, postcards/hof plaques at $80, flats and balls at $130.

Red Schoendienst: Red just did an appearance in St. Louis – although I don’t think he travels too much anymore. There is a guy on SCN who handles his fan mail for him. I believe it starts at $25. PM me if you need more info.

You probably see a theme in many of the guys I listed. Long story short, if you are collecting living HOF players, a $14.99 yearly subscription to sportscollectors.net is money well spent.

Feel free to shoot out some more names and I will give you my take on them.