View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Yeah... This is def a case where approx 2 years is implemented. The book shows the diff stamps and I have seen a couple diff since. Henry , I am sure has a bunch of new data as well if a 2nd edition was published.
Yes, lots of different stamps. At least 8 different main stamps just for the George Burke years 1929-1948, plus some variations of added text above and below. After Burke's heart attack in 1948, the stamp changed to "Burke & Brace, Photo" for the top line and the address changed to Brace's home address on Drake Ave. From what I understand, Burke basically turned the business and all of his negatives over to Brace at that point in return for Brace covering his hospital bills. Following Burke's death in 1951, the stamp changed again to just "Brace Photo" at that address, and underwent many more changes through the years to follow that I haven't attempted to document/date. Brace was still actively photographing players up through the 1993 season, and passed in 2002.

As has been said, there is a lot of overlap between some of the stamping styles as to when they could have been used. I started last year compiling information from examples I have had, but am far from finished. I think I can safely say that some stamp styles can be narrowed down to definite periods of usage as some patterns have started to emerge when I plot the dates, but it would be reckless of me to put definitive dates out there at this point. Documenting everything properly takes time, and unless someone wants to pay me a salary to do that rather than other paying work, it'll be a while yet before it's done and presentable.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 02-25-2014 at 12:18 PM.