View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
I agree with 3 of the 5 on your list (Johnson, Cobb and Keeler). I'd add in Lajoie with bat and Harry Pattee horizontal (love the colors). Sorry, don't have pictures with me at work!
Steve, it was really hard for me to cut the Lajoie off my final 5. And the Pattee is certainly one of my favorites of the horizontally oriented cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Bill these would be my choices. I'm a huge portrait fan. When color & registration are dead on there is nothing more beautiful! Honorable mention is the Ed Walsh portrait.

Tony, all great selections. I can't believe how beautiful that Johnson is. I really like the Joss, too. His portrait is one I want to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelMan View Post
i vote for the Johnson portrait...
that card has a 3 dimensional quality that is not found in most of the others...

that card simply POPS and Walter looks like he is in the same room with you...

added: the only thing missing from the doyle is the top part of the bat!!!!
Scott, it really does. Perfect marriage of picture and color. It stands out among all the portraits to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Lajoie w/ bat - my favorite card in the set.
Cobb bat off
Anderson
Powers
Pelty horz
Good choices, Don.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
Johnson portrait – yeah, what everyone else has said

Cobb green – just the look in the eyes

Niles – always liked the semi-casual "yeah, I play ball for a living" look to his pose.

Konetchy, glove low – not certain, but isn't this the only pose in the set to show a base? You've got multiple poses with buildings in the background, some guys with balls in their hands, some guys with gloves on their hands, several with bats, but only one with a bag that it is his job to defend.

AND TWO MINUTES LATER...

I've already decided to add another:

Dougherty portrait – for me, the purple background really works on this one. Of those I've listed, this is the only one I own, thanks to Paul (T206 Collector). Thanks again, Paul, one of my favs.
Ed, I like the Cobb green, but I just couldn't select two from the same player. Just too many others I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post

Paul, I first saw the Lobert on Ebay last night. That's a really nice example you have. I do like it. Hell, I like all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
1- Cobb Bat Off Shoulder
2- Mathewson Black Cap
3- Chase White Cap
4- Donlin Fielding
5- Mike Mitchell
Sean, I like all three of Donlin's cards, and considered the Donlin with bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
For me like Tony I love the portraits, and I also like a lot of the action shots I have about 10 of each that I like. I’ll post my favorite action shots later. But the top 5 favorite portraits I own are these. I think the Wagner is one of the best looking cards in the set for the record too bad it’s so expensive easily his best card IMO.

Great cards everyone!
John, every time I see something from your collection, I am in awe. If you ever open a museum, and need a curator, please keep me in mind. I'd work for free just to be able to see your cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
To my mind, t206 is the National Portrait Gallery of baseball card sets.
Absolutely! I'd love to see the Hall of Fame commission an artist to do a T206 port for every member, and release them as a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Cobb/Green
Johnson/ portrait
3 fingers/ portrait
Speaker
Dougherty
Great choices, Dave. I forgot about the Three Fingers Brown port. That's a good one, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
Johnson Portrait
Cobb Red
Matty Black Cap
Cobb Bat Off
Wagner
Five great selections, Dave. It wasn't easy for me to exclude the Wagner, being such an iconic card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Great cards guys..most of my favourites have been shown.

Chris, I like both Chase portraits, but for some reason, I think I prefer the pink background. It gives the card a warmth. But I will definitely add the blue one day.

Chase fascinates me as a player and as an individual. I've been reading about him on the Hal Chase Place. It seems he's all been forgotten today by the mainstream media.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.