View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 02:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
I find it a real shame that some greedy people got screwed. The problem is that lots of these people entering into the hobby have no clue what they are doing and think the easy $$$. They want to do Zero work and collect $. Well sorry to say this is what happens.

When some of us have worked hard to try to help. Maybe something like this will open up some eyes. And some people will discover they actually do have fake Goudeys and of the likes in their collections.

It’s been in vintage for years. Do you not remember the guy from San Diego/Mexico. Take a few minutes and read about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early on it was pretty clear "Copperfield" (the Mexican guy) was very expertly opening slabs, generating his own flips, and inserting cards. There was some disagreement over whether he eventually moved on to having slabs fabricated in China or elsewhere. I don't know for sure if the FBI eventually was able to find him or at least get close enough that he stopped his operation. His "mules" mostly operated out of Southern California but if I recall correctly there was one in Denver as well. A lot of the cards infiltrated the hobby and probably are still out there to some extent. Not surprisingly, Joe O was pretty tight-lipped about the whole thing and PSA did not really provide any guidance on what to look for.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-18-2022 at 02:56 PM.