View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Some of the best meals and service I've had have been at those jethroes roadkill café type places.

Just look for one that's got a bunch of pickups parked around it. Or, old cars that appear to be just old rustbuckets until someone starts it.

Best one?
Place that was built into what used to be the front porch of an old house, antlers and such on the outside walls, and a piece of plywood with just the word "food" spray painted on it.

Biggest menu I've ever seen. Most places have egg breakfasts, one egg, twe eggs, three eggs. Maybe the occasional one with a 4 egg breakfast. This place went up to a six egg breakfast.
I ordered the "big breakfast" described as "some of each"
The waitress seemed surprised,
"honey, it's a really big meal."
That's ok, sounds good.
It is, but.....It's REALLY big!
Sure, that's what I want!

All the big guys with flannel shirts seemed really amused.

I figured maybe three eggs, some ham, sausage, etc, some potato stuff, and maybe a pancake.

What came was several of those oval plates that are maybe 10 inches by 6-8 inches. Each one loaded with a menu item. Probably 4+ eggs, two big slices of ham, maybe 8 slices of bacon, Sausages, both patties and links, hash browns AND homefries, a plate of each! Three pancakes, a plate of French toast, and a big waffle I'm sure there was more.

I left several pounds heavier, and the flannel shirt crowd wasn't laughing, but they were smiling at having watched a "little" guy (at the time 5-11 and right around 200) finish it all.

It was all really good.

I did skip lunch at paintball that afternoon.

Another place I got a nice desert surprise. I said I couldn't decide between the apple or pecan pie both looked really good (they had them under glass on the main counter) and the waitress said she'd come back in a couple minutes. Sure did, bringing a bit more than a half slice of each along with ice cream! Problem solved

Steve B