View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Default Yet Another Grading Issue

Posted By: barrysloate

A few responses- no, I am not going to contact the auction houses. I don't expect any reimbursement (I would feel differently if an expensive card were altered or trimmed) and will just stay away from raw lots, or bid lower and let them go to someone else.

Bruce, I appreciate your theory about buying the highest grade possible, but that would apply to already graded cards. You would not buy a NR MT raw card, that just doesn't happen. My argument here is that if you know a card is in the fair to good range, it's not responsible for auction houses who claim to be the very best to call the card VG. I know it is done to make the most amount of money possible, but that is not a satisfactory explanation. I could make more money than I do now if I bought VG cards, trimmed them down, and sold them as Mint. But that is not a good business model. Neither is calling a card with several creases VG, because there is no chance it will receive that grade when it is submitted.

The issue here is doing a better job, something that is easily within reach of all the major auction houses.