View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 02:21 PM
Todd Schultz

With regard to speeding up the game, I looked at the 1972 World Series stats the other day and saw that only one of the games lasted longer than 2 1/2 hours, and that was Game Seven. Six of the seven games were decided by one run, and given the high drama of such close games and the pomp and circumstance of the World Series, you would think the TV commercials combined with mound visits, tosses to first, stepping out of the box etc, would have stretched those times out mightily, yet one of the games lasted only 2:06.
It just should not be that hard to speed up play nowadays.

One thing I like is the few commercial spots they show during the game in split-screen format, for 15-30 seconds while a batter approaches the plate or there is a mound visit. Use your commercial time thusly, and eliminate the long delay between innings. Frankly I find myself at least marginally paying attention to the product during those split-screen ads as opposed to muting the damn TV between innings (as an aside, I will never in my life buy a Liberty Mutual Insurance product after being swamped with those stupid Emu and Doug commercials). Granted, with more in-game ads we might miss out on extra Eduardo Perez babble or similar inanity from the so-called "analysts", but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-13-2022 at 02:40 PM.