View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Jonathan

Default New Former Mantle Card Collector

After years of board membership, this is my first visit and contribution to the post-war cards forum. Like all of you, my interest and enthusiasm in most things Mantle is what drew me here, but perhaps a little bit of an introduction is in order…

My name is Jonathan and I’ve been collecting vintage equipment and ephemera...mostly from the 19th Century…for just about 30 years now. I’m 43 years old, so yes…I’ve had the collecting bug since I was about 12 years old. I’ve written two books on vintage equipment (www.dugouttreasures.com), am a docent at the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center, and am a member of SABR’s 19th Century Committee having presented research at the past 4 conferences in Cooperstown. While vintage equipment and related memorabilia has always been my primary collecting focus, I’ve also maintained a long-term passion for items associated with the NY Yankees of the 1950s…particularly, the Mick.

Over the years, when I picked up gloves and bats endorsed by Yankee players…Mantle, Rizzuto, Berra, Ford, Martin, etc…I always tried to match them with whatever cards I could afford at the time. My small vintage card collection would in turn be augmented by gifts from my parents for things like birthdays and graduations. By the time I began moving away from cards in pursuit of vintage equipment, I had stashed away many examples of the afore mentioned players, including a handful of Mantles.

Fast forward about 28 or so years to present day and the onset of the pandemic…

I don’t know how many of you initiated a COVID project but, somehow, I got it in my head that I would re-visit the card side of the hobby and look to piece together a complete set of Mantle bubble gum cards.

I started with a nucleus of about 10 Topps cards to include the 1956, all three variations in the 1958 set, a 1961, 1966, 1967, and few set extras such as All-Star cards. So you know, none of these cards were graded and all of them, except for the 1956 example, had been acquired in the 1990s.

So, in June, I began adding as many different ones as I could on a pretty tight budget. I simply set out to acquire attractive (in the eye of the beholder, of course), collector grade examples of each Bowman and Topps card. I wasn’t (and am not) averse to some rounded corners, wrinkles, some discoloration, and even a chip, tear, tape, or pin hole that didn’t affect the Mantle image. I don’t think I had, or picked up anything, that would grade out above a 5 at most.

When it came time to add the more desirable and pricey examples…in this case, the ’52 Bowman and ’53 Topps…I did seek out graded/encapsulated examples in conditions that I could live with. In the case of the '53 Topps, its Authentic for a small, but missing corner. The '52 Bowman is a PSA 4 (MK) with some pen on the reverse.

Like I said, none of what I’ve been looking for has been investment grade…just wanted nice looking cards I could take out and enjoy with my 12-year-old son.

At this time, I have examples…predominately raw…of all but two cards. For the sake of accuracy, I did not go after team cards or checklist cards. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the two cards I’m short are ones that don’t quite fit into my budget…the ’51 Bowman and ’52 Topps. That said, I really am determined to add them at some point as I can’t leave my kids an incomplete Pandemic Mantle Set.

As this is an “all things Mantle” thread, I will also add some pics of my other Mantle related items in a subsequent post.

But, for now, here is what my humble card collection amounts to at this time. If you want to actually see any of them, just let me know…it'll give me a reason to take them out again!

I really have enjoyed looking at all of your outstanding Mantle cards/items, and am more motivated than ever to try (and I emphasize, try) and stay on the hunt for those last two cards.

Well, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy as I look forward to many more of your Mantle-centric posts.

Best,

Jon
www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1640.jpg (79.3 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg 52 Bowman.jpg (53.2 KB, 348 views)