View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Phil

Default Requesting a Second Opinion Regarding a GAI6 53 Bowman Berra Mantle, Bauer Purchase

I posted this on Blowout earlier today with some revision for Net 54.

I expect to be pilloried for purchasing a card from Probstein and that it comes in a GAI holder. I am assembling a 53 Bowman set on a budget of sorts and this looked like a deal. However, I keep looking at the top border and I have my doubts. I've measured both with a ruler and by lining it up with at least 25 different 53 Bowmans. The card compares well with what I have used thus far. The two top corners look suspicious, however. A loupe with a light would be the next step, but my family and I are self-quarantining as not to become ill from the Coronavirus.

Here is the title of the listing:
1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle Yogi Berra Hank Bauer HOF GA 6
ID#383493075593

I am debating returning the card. The reverse side image gives a better view of both top corners and the gap between the top of the card and black of the holder. A second opinion would be appreciated based on the appearance of the card-not the seller or grading company.

Since Net54 has a reputation in dealing with vintage, I'd like to get feedback as well. Condition-wise, it's a little better than my current near-set. My cards range from vg to ex plus, with the majority of my cards in vg/ex condition. The card seemed to have been auctioned about a week before and sold for $15.00 less than what I paid.

Last edited by Tere1071; 05-02-2020 at 10:08 PM.