View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 08:23 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Molitor would likely be the correct answer, but because he played less then half of his games as a DH, he's not clumped into the statistical data. Same as Baylor.

Most of these lists are using the model, that the player counts as that being his regular position only if he played a certain % of his games at that position.

That's what I thought was flawed about the list to begin with, not that it's a post-1920 list, which was declared to be the case right at the outset.

I'd guess the lists are compiled this way because baseball reference doesn't spit out a neat compilation list in this category, and you have to go to each individual players "Career Split" page.....and that could end up being pretty time consuming.
That makes sense, and I completely agree with that last statement 100%.

I missed Molitor on my initial assessment since my criteria was at least 50% playing time at the position.

This is good stuff though, I always like diving into stats I previously had no idea about.

What I learned is that Molitor is the DH SB king, and Don Baylor had some serious wheels in his younger days and two of the coolest nicknames in baseball.