View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 01:39 PM
Jeremy

Default E-bikes and regulations

In the current Montana legislative session there is a bill that would classify different classes of e-bikes (throttle/no-throttle/mph governed or not) and allow them to go anywhere regular bikes can go, which sounds great, BUT, this bill is intended to allow local communities to regulate each and every trail in their area.

The problem I have is that the majority of local cyclists are elitists who hate e-bikes. I ride my e-bike on these trails quite a bit and I get yelled at or dirty looks from the elitist cyclists that pass by (we have a lot of riders that are sponsored and/or compete professionally), and these trails are very wide and there is no shortage of space on all sides (approx. 8 ft. wide). My local area is poised to ban the use of e-bikes on a lot of bicycle paths as well as paved multi-use paths.

The e-bike is my only option to get out and enjoy our amazing scenery (as well as small grocery trips) due to health issues, but it sounds like it's about to get much more difficult for me to do that. I feel like the regulations are arbitrary since an e-bike can be so easily modified and people (especially elitist cyclists) need to just live and let live and be happy that people are out enjoying nature rather than bicker about how they are doing so.

My questions are:

Does the area where you live have have any regulations on e-bikes?

How do you feel about the use of e-bikes on trails/paths?

Pic is the view from the first leg of the 50 mile paved multi-use path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (5).jpg (204.3 KB, 70 views)