Thread: Sadaharu Oh
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Hi all, I just found this post by accident. I did some searching and found that according to the top three TPG pop reports there is a total of 7,857 Aaron rookies that have been graded.

PSA 5638
SGC 1360
BVG 859

I assume there are plenty of others that have not been graded yet.

Although there are probably 40-50 or so different Sadaharu Oh cards that were produced in 1959. I seriously doubt that the total of all Oh cards would be more than the 1954 Aaron card.

I've been dealing with Japanese cards since 1989 and I think it was actually easier to find cards years ago. I would go to antique shows, flea markets and and various shops where I would actually find some cool items. It sure seems like things have dried up out there.

Back in 1993 I was on a Japanese quiz show along with Dan Johnson called "Naruhodo! The World" You can see some of the things we had in our collections.

Wow, your collection is amazing, you still have all that stuff?

That video (which is so cool BTW) does a good job of demonstrating how little card collecting had permeated public awareness here (at least in 1993) - its neat that it took them so long to guess that the baseball goods you collected were cards (and they didn't really hit on that until the host steered them to it from menko).

That is a fair point about the Oh/ Aaron rookie card numbers and I think you are probably right that there are more Aarons based on that, but still the number of Oh rookies collectively must be at least in the thousands so I don't think the population is too far off in comparison.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 03-25-2021 at 09:05 PM.