NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest living player today?
Ronald Acuna Jr 1 0.26%
Johnny Bench 16 4.19%
Mookie Betts 0 0%
Barry Bonds 105 27.49%
Steve Carlton 0 0%
Roger Clemens 2 0.52%
Ken Griifey Jr 33 8.64%
Rickey Henderson 25 6.54%
Randy Johnson 2 0.52%
Sandy Koufax 52 13.61%
Greg Maddux 6 1.57%
Pedro Martinez 5 1.31%
Shohei Ohtani 16 4.19%
Albert Pujols 16 4.19%
Cal Ripken Jr 5 1.31%
Alex Rodriguez 0 0%
Pete Rose 36 9.42%
Nolan Ryan 28 7.33%
Mike Schmidt 16 4.19%
Ichiro Suzuki 6 1.57%
Mike Trout 1 0.26%
Other 11 2.88%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Michael

I totally get it as well. Kind of a shame because he really has been great in the regular season. I think if he had just been normal good but not great (say like Verlander 17-12 3.58) it would not be held against him that much.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I totally get it as well. Kind of a shame because he really has been great in the regular season. I think if he had just been normal good but not great (say like Verlander 17-12 3.58) it would not be held against him that much.
Made worse IMO by the fact that Roberts never knew when to pull him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I agree that Bench and Schmidt are 2 surprising choices to complain about. If I had to pick the result that I found most surprising, it would be the number of votes for Pete Rose. Regardless of his gambling issues, I agree he was a great player, but power hitters usually get thought of more than singles hitters when you talk about the greatest players in baseball.
I agree 100%.

It is amazing to me that Pete Rose has the 3 most number of votes. He was a versatile fielder, but not a particularly good one. And he was a one-dimensional hitter. Let's not forget that in addition to betting on baseball, he was also corking his bat at the end of his career, as he tried to pass Cobb on the all-time hits list.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think there's an easy explanation for Rose's stature -- he broke one of baseball's most sacred records that was long considered untouchable.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

He did break the record but if you're going to pick a player in the same vein as Rose, I think Wade Boggs was infinitely better.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
He did break the record but if you're going to pick a player in the same vein as Rose, I think Wade Boggs was infinitely better.
I was not a fan. Purely anecdotal, but it seemed he never got a hit in a meaningful situation. Bases empty up or down five runs, he was awesome lol.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I was not a fan. Purely anecdotal, but it seemed he never got a hit in a meaningful situation. Bases empty up or down five runs, he was awesome lol.
Are you talking about Arod? Because that is what I remember about him. I believe Boggs batted around .360 with runners in scoring position.

Last edited by bnorth; Yesterday at 12:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
I think there's an easy explanation for Rose's stature -- he broke one of baseball's most sacred records that was long considered untouchable.
Yes, his overtaking Cobb (while corking his bat) is the explanation. It is not a good one.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
He has an OPS of .806 or higher in every "clutch" category on baseball reference.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

I just don't see a very good player in Pete Rose's stats. He's essentially an Ichiro clone. Their numbers from ages 27 to 45 are strikingly similar. Only 6 people chose Ichiro though and in terms of Ichiro's career, only he and Pete Rose would have accumulated 3,000 hits from age 27 on.

I guess the record explains the disparity, but Ichiro was essentially the same player.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Are you talking about Arod? Because that is what I remember about him. I believe Boggs batted around .360 with runners in scoring position.
Not an easy stat to find, but finally found it for individual players on baseball-reference.com. Boggs hit .324 with RISP. ARod was .292.

I haven't been able to find a career leaderboard anywhere.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I am hard pressed to think of anyone who has been hurt more than Kershaw by their post-season performance.

193 IP with a 4.49 ERA, the consistency of his mediocrity is through a pretty large sample size.
Agreed. Similarly, Koufax should be elevated due to his fantastic postseason stats: 7 World Series starts, 4 complete games, 2 shutouts, 0.95 ERA, .825 WHIP.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Obviously that helped, but it hardly did EVERYTHING or every average pitcher who came to the Dodgers would've become Koufax. It doesn't explain the precipitous drop in his walk rate. I mean Koufax didn't become Claude Osteen, or even Don Sutton or Don Drysdale, He became KOUFAX. When every hitter in the league this side of Hank Aaron talks about practically giving up when they face him that can't all just be hype and a good stadium.

Willie Stargell - trying to hit Koufax was like “trying to drink coffee with a fork."

Pete Rose - "I couldn't hit my weight against Koufax" (he was 10 for 57 for his career)
I dunno, I think increasing the size of the strike zone might help with reducing walks

I appreciate the anecdotes from superstars talking about how hard Koufax was to hit. But Aaron is just being modest, what with his career .362 average and 1.077 OPS against Sandy.

Anecdotes are great but the numbers are the numbers.

Last edited by Tabe; Yesterday at 01:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Jay Shumsky

double post

Last edited by jayshum; Yesterday at 01:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I just don't see a very good player in Pete Rose's stats. He's essentially an Ichiro clone. Their numbers from ages 27 to 45 are strikingly similar. Only 6 people chose Ichiro though and in terms of Ichiro's career, only he and Pete Rose would have accumulated 3,000 hits from age 27 on.

I guess the record explains the disparity, but Ichiro was essentially the same player.
Are you saying you don't think either Rose or Ichiro were at least very good players? That's hard to agree with.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Not an easy stat to find, but finally found it for individual players on baseball-reference.com. Boggs hit .324 with RISP. ARod was .292.

Jay, a player's batting average with runners in scoring position is definitely an interesting stat. The top 2 best seasons for a player were:

1. Freddie Lindstrom, Giants, 1930 --- .480 (59 for 123)

2. George Brett, Royals, 1980 --- .469

Jay, check RETROSHEET, which is either part of SABR or Baseball-Reference.com Hope this helps, friend. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; Yesterday at 01:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you don't think either Rose or Ichiro were at least very good players? That's hard to agree with.
No, I think they were great at one thing, I'm just not sure that one thing has enough value to elevate them to greatest living player.

It's impossible to ignore a player like Ichiro's peak, but when you look at his entire career and compare his final stats to other HOFers, I do think you're looking at a low-tier HOFer and I would say the same is true of Rose.

Ichiro: 757 career OPS with an OPS+ of 107
Rose: 784 OPS with an OPS+ of 118

All that to say I'm a big Ichiro fan and I loved watching him play. I just don't think he has a case for greatest living player and I don't think there's all that much separating him from Rose, so I have a hard time seeing Rose in the conversation. I think Wade Boggs was better than both of them and is probably the greatest living hitter from a batting title / average perspective. I think it was always Gwynn then Boggs as long as Gwynn was still alive.

Last edited by packs; Yesterday at 01:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Jason Wells

Politics aside Barry Bonds for me. Sandy for pitchers
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I swear I never saw him get a clutch hit and I saw a lot of him. Memory may be distorted by my dislike of his attitude and obsession with his own stats.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
No, I think they were great at one thing, I'm just not sure that one thing has enough value to elevate them to greatest living player.

It's impossible to ignore a player like Ichiro's peak, but when you look at his entire career and compare his final stats to other HOFers, I do think you're looking at a low-tier HOFer and I would say the same is true of Rose.

Ichiro: 757 career OPS with an OPS+ of 107
Rose: 784 OPS with an OPS+ of 118

All that to say I'm a big Ichiro fan and I loved watching him play. I just don't think he has a case for greatest living player and I don't think there's all that much separating him from Rose, so I have a hard time seeing Rose in the conversation. I think Wade Boggs was better than both of them and is probably the greatest living hitter from a batting title / average perspective. I think it was always Gwynn then Boggs as long as Gwynn was still alive.
OK, I understand what you're saying. It was just the way your previous post was worded that I was confused by.

I think you also have to include Rod Carew in the conversation when you're talking about batting title and average for greatest living hitter. I agree that I wouldn't include him, Rose, Boggs or Ichiro as my pick for greatest living player, though.
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Jay, a player's batting average with runners in scoring position is definitely an interesting stat. The top 2 best seasons for a player were:

1. Freddie Lindstrom, Giants, 1930 --- .480 (59 for 123)

2. George Brett, Royals, 1980 --- .469

Jay, check RETROSHEET, which is either part of SABR or Baseball-Reference.com Hope this helps, friend. --- Brian Powell
Brain, I don't see anything on RetroSheet either about all time leaders in RISP.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Quote:
OK, I understand what you're saying. It was just the way your previous post was worded that I was confused by.

I think you also have to include Rod Carew in the conversation when you're talking about batting title and average for greatest living hitter. I agree that I wouldn't include him, Rose, Boggs or Ichiro as my pick for greatest living player, though.
My fault. In my head I was discussing them amongst the greatest living players and high-tier HOFers when I said "not very good". They were elite compared to everyone else.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I swear I never saw him get a clutch hit and I saw a lot of him. Memory may be distorted by my dislike of his attitude and obsession with his own stats.
People said the same thing in Philly about Bobby Abreu, but somehow he hit .311 in his career with RISP so some of that had to happen with the Phillies.
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:

I agree that Rose and Ichiro were similar offensively. I do give the edge to Rose because he led the League in doubles 5x and walked more.

But I think Ichiro was more well-balanced player. He stole more than twice as many bases and was a better fielder. Ichiro won 10 Gold Gloves. Rose won just 2 Gold Gloves.

Last edited by cgjackson222; Yesterday at 04:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I’m not a big Pete Rose fan but he was great .
4256 hits is a big number , He hit .321 in 301 postseason at bats,
Played in six World Series and won three of them ,
MVP in ‘75 series -
was part of the big red machine and he had some kind of hitting streak
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
I’m not a big Pete Rose fan but he was great .
4256 hits is a big number , He hit .321 in 301 postseason at bats,
Played in six World Series and won three of them ,
MVP in ‘75 series -
was part of the big red machine and he had some kind of hitting streak
All true, and no question he was one of the greatest ever. But I don’t see how someone can think he is the best living player.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

It’s hard to avoid Rose’s record when talking about him and it’s hard to exclude Cobb from thought by extension. Cobb was just so much better than Rose that it’s hard to see them always paired up.

I would even suggest that it’s because Rose broke Cobb’s record and Cobb’s name carries the weight it deserves to that Rose even enters the conversation. But Cobb was a mile ahead of Rose in every other way. If the hit record was held by someone other than Cobb I think Rose loses his shine. Which is to say I don’t think it’s the hit king status that vaults Rose, but the fact that it was Cobb that he topped.

Last edited by packs; Yesterday at 02:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Thanks for finding that. I had just rewatched Boggs 3000th hit game a few days ago and would have sworn I seen that stat when he was up to bat. I just rewatched his at bats and Wade hit .361 lifetime with the bases loaded according to his second at bat stats they displayed.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Thanks for finding that. I had just rewatched Boggs 3000th hit game a few days ago and would have sworn I seen that stat when he was up to bat. I just rewatched his at bats and Wade hit .361 lifetime with the bases loaded according to his second at bat stats they displayed.
Here's how to find it for individual players on baseball-reference.com. After going to a player's page, scroll toward the bottom where it lists More Pages. Under Batting Splits, you can choose Career or an individual season. On the next page, open the listing for Show Bases Occupied.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Politics aside Barry Bonds for me. Sandy for pitchers
Barry Bonds juicing himself to the gills with PEDS is not bad politics---it's called cheating. It's called desecrating the integrity of the game's record book. Keep the bum out of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Always keep him in the elite hall of shame.

Yes, Barry had a definite HOF career going, just like Joe Jackson. Jackson's misdeeds came in a controversial World Series; how much Joe threw his part of the Series is still argued about back and forth. Bonds's misdeeds came after McGwire and Sosa wowed everybody in 1998, and Barry decided he was going to get some of that stuff, and make everybody forget the former record-holders. What a lousy mess. Furthermore, the juicers influenced young players to use PEDS. I've read of some tragic stories.... --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; Yesterday at 04:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
J@mes In.gram

Jackson was banned for participating to some degree in throwing a World Series - he was great, but he's out of the discussion. Great stats, all for nothing.

Rose was banned for gambling. He knew clearly what he was doing, and was banned. Great stats, all for nothing.

Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, et al, all blatantly thumbed their collective noses at the no PEDs rules. They knew what they were doing. They aren't banned, but they aren't going into the HoF anytime soon. Great stats, meaningless, all for nothing. Very wealthy, but that's as far as it goes.

Collectors go all gaga over certain cards, and spout meaningless, subjective or otherwise arguments about their stats and greatness. In the end, it means absolutely nothing.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

Succinctly well-said, James Ingram. -- Brian Powell
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I dunno, I think increasing the size of the strike zone might help with reducing walks

I appreciate the anecdotes from superstars talking about how hard Koufax was to hit. But Aaron is just being modest, what with his career .362 average and 1.077 OPS against Sandy.

Anecdotes are great but the numbers are the numbers.
Did it decrease all pitchers' walks by the amount that Koufax's decreased? I'm not going to do the math and am just going to bet you $1 that it didn't.

As for the anecdotes, that's why I said "this side of Aaron" that means - not including Aaron.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; Yesterday at 04:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
For the record I waffle back and forth and forth between Ruth, Mays and Bonds for greatest all-time, but usually wind up with Mays as #3 for the sole reason that Ruth and Bonds were SO much better than their peers when they played than Mays was. So I usually land Ruth/Bonds/Mays/Charleston/Aaron for position players, and if I try and add pitchers my brain explodes and I stop thinking about it.

-Al
Me too, except I rate them Ruth-Bonds-Mays-Aaron. Maybe I am biased from having this card since 1973:

Or I just like every excuse I can get to show a childhood obsession card.

As for pitchers, I go with either Clemens or Johnson.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; Yesterday at 05:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Tony Baldwin

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone when I see Bonds name mentioned with Ruth-Mays-Aaron. Do people really not understand that Bonds cheated and his numbers are inflated due to PED use? UGH!
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone when I see Bonds name mentioned with Ruth-Mays-Aaron. Do people really not understand that Bonds cheated and his numbers are inflated due to PED use? UGH!
Yes but many people go out of their way to shrug it off.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Me too, except I rate them Ruth-Bonds-Mays-Aaron. Maybe I am biased from having this card since 1973:

Or I just like every excuse I can get to show a childhood obsession card.

As for pitchers, I go with either Clemens or Johnson.
Man that’s a good card
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A reading of the posts will show that everyone appears to be well aware that Bonds used steroids from 1999 or 2000 through sometime between 2003 and 2007. It is not complete ignorance the issue even exists that is the debate.