NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: What kind of card collector are you?
I collect only the players from my favourite team(s). 6 10.91%
I collect only certain specific stars or rookies from any set. 10 18.18%
I collect both the players from my favourite team(s) and certain stars or rookies. 7 12.73%
I go after all the cards from any set I'm collecting. 25 45.45%
I go after all the cards from any set I'm collecting plus the wrappers and display boxes. 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2024, 05:03 PM

Question What kind of baseball card collector are you?

What kind of baseball card collector are you? Do you collect only the players from a certain team or specific stars/rookies from any particular set? Or do you try to acquire every single card from any set you start collecting?

Old 09-23-2024, 05:15 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Hi Balticfox:

Looks like you're relatively new around here. So welcome to the site.

You raise some good questions, and I'm sure that you'll find a lot of different approaches to how people collect, as we all have our own ideas around what gets us excited about collecting.

But if you're looking to help people to open up and be generous about sharing, maybe you could start off the conversation by sharing your personal approach to collecting?

Since I see that you have a poll, you might also consider whether some of us use more than one of these approaches. My guess is that most of us could check multiple boxes. Under the current format, it looks like only a single selection is permitted for each respondent.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 09-23-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:07 PM
Eric Perry

• I'm building a set I fully expect to complete (1956 Topps)
  • I'm building a set I expect to never complete (T206)
  • I get stars and rookies from other sets (picked up a Mantle, Mays, and Spahn this past weekend and I was looking for a Frank Robinson rookie)
  • I get cards of players from my favorite team (the Phillies)
  • I get cards of my favorite player (Steve Carlton)

Sometimes, I get cards 'cause they look cool (this weekend, I also picked up a '61 Wes Covington)

So, my vote is "all of the above, and more."

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (193/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-23-2024, 06:16 PM
Ben North

After around 40 years of collecting I think I have tried it all at one time or another. Still mainly a Wade Boggs and error card collector but have a little bit of everything and everyone.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:34 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
But if you're looking to help people to open up and be generous about sharing, maybe you could start off the conversation by sharing your personal approach to collecting?
My plan was to do so after a day or two so as not to appear "judgemental" and thus colour other responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Since I see that you have a poll, you might also consider whether some of us use more than one of these approaches. My guess is that most of us could check multiple boxes. Under the current format, it looks like only a single selection is permitted for each respondent.
I considered ticking off the "Allow Multiple Votes" option but I thought I'd covered all the options individually. I failed to consider that some collectors might approach collecting cards from different sets in different ways.

In the past few years I've actually been adding these options to polls I start:

6. All of the above.
7. None of the above.
8. I don't understand. Could you repeat the question?

I shouldn't have left them off I guess.

Last edited by Balticfox; 09-24-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:59 PM

I principally go for Topps base sets - right now have 1966-2001 - and all inserts, variations, send-aways, traded sets, wrappers (no boxes), etc. By this time next year, I expect I'll have 1965-2002.

Also collect 4 individual players - Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Tim Wakefield and Jamie Quirk.
Old 09-23-2024, 07:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I am both ALL of the stated options at the same time and NONE of the stated options at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2024, 05:03 AM
Jerry Liles

Default Type of Collector

I am a Topps Set Collector. I build multiple sets of the same year also.
Old 09-24-2024, 05:48 AM

As Nicolo suggested, many of us can check multiple boxes. I am mainly a set collector (with variations), but also collect sheets.
Old 09-24-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balticfox View Post
What kind of baseball card collector are you? Do you collect only the players from a certain team or specific stars/rookies from any particular set? Or do you try to acquire every single card from any set you start collecting?

Good question, and welcome to the forum. The collective knowledge from the members is astounding.
Old 09-24-2024, 06:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balticfox View Post

I collect 52 Topps in hopes of completing my set but all other cards are just stars/rookies here and there from baseball and hockey, and both include vintage and modern.

I have no desire to collect/complete sets.
Old 09-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Larry

I collect my favorite team but mainly vintage HOFers & vintage rookies. Also have 27 player runs.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

I collect pretty much everything.

But I have rarely focused on anything, so for example, I'm still a few cards short on the 76 set, I might actually work on finishing it for 2026.

Usually when I go to a show if there's something in particular I want I don't find it, but do find other stuff.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
J0hn Collin$

My card collecting from when I was kid slightly predates my Cub-fandom, so as a result I tend to collect everything (where possible) and not just my team. Though I do plenty of that too. I digress...

I collect singles and stars traditionally - probably first and foremost, but as I have gotten back into the hobby as an adult, I have become interested in certain other vintage sets and other players. I don't have a ton of rules when I see something that catches my eye, other than the fact I don't do a ton of prewar. I love how prewar cards look and the history of those players and sets, but for my collecting dollar - the truth anymore is most of those cards have passed my budget by in comparison to what I can still get on the postwar side for the same amount - that I still want to get. My postwar wantlist still shows no sign of ending in terms of stuff I still would like to acquire, so I don't see that model changing significantly anytime soon.

Last edited by jchcollins; Yesterday at 10:52 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Im a little bit of 1 and a little bit of 2 (primarily), but I think 2 comes closest to my current habits.