NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-17-2024, 05:06 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Tom Alston

We have previously highlighted the lives and baseball cards of the men who became the first black men to play for one of the 16 MLB franchises. Several of these men have been inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame. Several others had MLB careers long enough for them to appear on a substantial number of baseball cards, photographs, and other memorabilia. Today we focus on a player from a third group: players whose time in MLB was brief, resulting in a limited number of collectable items. Today's focus is on: Thomas E. "Tom" Alston. First baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1954-1957. 66 hits and 4 home runs in 4 MLB seasons. He only got significant playing time in 1954 as he posted a .317 OBP in 271 plate appearances. He was the first black player to play for the Cardinals.

I only have two cards that feature Alston. Today and tomorrow, I will borrow excerpts from Alston's SABR biography and show the two cards I have. If anyone has Alston items in their collection, I would love to see them. For anyone interested in more on Tom's mostly troubled life and MLB career, I recommend the excellent SABR biography written by Warren Corbett:

Tom Alston tried to hit big-league pitching while hearing voices, battling chronic fatigue, and carrying the weight of being a racial pioneer in a Jim Crow city.

Alston, the first African American player for the St. Louis Cardinals, spent most of his life in torment and poverty. He never escaped the grip of mental illness that ended his baseball career.

Besides the pressure to make it in the majors and to be “a credit to his race,” Alston faced the added burden of being the most expensive black player ever. The Cardinals paid the Pacific Coast League’s San Diego Padres more than $100,000, plus four players, for his contract.

His debut in 1954 came seven years after Jackie Robinson’s. That year, for the first time, a majority of the 16 major league teams had black players, although those players made up less than 6 percent of the rosters. They were no longer an experiment, but not yet commonplace.

The Cardinals were latecomers to integration. Front-office executive Bing Devine said the owner from 1947 to 1953, Fred Saigh, refused to sign black players. There was a widespread belief that St. Louis was, in many ways, a Southern city. In the mid-1950s many of its stores and restaurants refused to serve black customers. The Cardinals, with baseball’s largest radio network blanketing the Midwest and South, had cultivated white Southern fans. Their ballpark was the last in the majors to abolish segregated seating.

When Anheuser-Busch bought the franchise in 1953, August A. Busch Jr. noticed the absence of black faces and ordered his baseball staff to find some. Busch was no civil rights crusader; he was an equal opportunity capitalist who wanted to sell his beer to everyone regardless of race, creed, or color. The Cardinals hired Negro League veteran Quincy Trouppe as a scout and signed more than a dozen African Americans in the first year of the Busch regime. The talent search eventually led to Alston. . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1955BowmanAlston0599Front.jpg (102.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg a1955BowmanAlston059Back.jpg (106.7 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by GeoPoto; 08-17-2024 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2024, 11:20 PM

Default Tom Alston

That's a lot of pressure to put on a young man. The Cardinals opened the 1954 season at home for one game. Alston played first base for all nine innings that day. I have the scorecard but I couldn't get the scan to upload. He made an error on the very first batter of the season. He also went 0-3 at the plate. (Wally Moon had a better debut, homering in his first career at bat.) After another one-game series in Milwaukee in which Alston did not play, the Cardinals headed to Wrigley for a pair of weekend games against the Cubs.
Alston must have liked the Friendly Confines since he homered in both of those games. His Sunday homer was a three-run pinch hit.
Old 08-18-2024, 04:01 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Tom Alston

Alston appeared in four games in the first weeks of the 1957 season, but his behavior had become too erratic to ignore. “I felt people were looking at me funny,” he said later. He had lost 15 pounds, down to about 175. Musial said, “The poor guy is so weak the bat seems to be swinging him.” The club sent him to a doctor, who put him in a hospital for treatment of what was described as “a nervous condition.”

The first time he saw a psychiatrist in the hospital, Alston recalled, “He didn’t ask no questions or nothing, just administered shock treatment.” He rejoined the team in September and went 4-for-13 in five games.

The Cardinals wanted him to stay in St. Louis for additional treatment, but he went home to live with his father. He never returned to baseball. In early 1958 he was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and served 30 days on a chain gang before the balance of his sentence was suspended.

After midnight on a September night, Alston went to the New Goshen Methodist Church, splashed kerosene around the sanctuary, and burned it to the ground. He gave several explanations over the years. Once he said the voices told him to burn the church because the congregation needed a new building. Another time he said he had argued with one of his sisters and torched her church out of spite.

When daylight came, police arrested Alston and a judge ordered a psychiatric exam. He was found mentally incompetent to stand trial. Dr. John W. Turner testified that the defendant was schizophrenic and was dangerous during his “paranoiac phase.”

Alston spent the next eight years in a state psychiatric institution. His discharge in 1967 turned out to be premature; two months later he set fire to his apartment and was committed again. Released in 1969, he continued taking medication and making regular visits to a mental health clinic for the rest of his life. In interviews in his later years, Alston was sometimes lucid, sometimes rambling and barely coherent. He never married or held a steady job, subsisting on Social Security disability benefits.

North Carolina A&T inducted Alston into its sports hall of fame in 1972. He occasionally showed up on campus to give batting tips to varsity players. By 1990 the 64-year-old was living in a nursing home when former Cardinal Joe Garagiola heard of his hardships. “When I called Tom Alston, he could hardly believe it,” Garagiola said. “He was so lonely.” Garagiola was one of the founders of the Baseball Assistance Team (B.A.T.), which provides financial aid to needy players and their families. With B.A.T.’s help, Alston was able to move into an apartment of his own.

As a result of Garagiola’s outreach, the Cardinals invited Alston to throw out the first ball at a game in June, recognizing his place in their history. Fans welcomed him with a warm ovation. The club also arranged for him to earn some money at an autograph show. “I had more fun that visit than I ever had when I was playing,” he said.

Alston contracted prostate cancer and spent his final months in hospice care. He died at 67 on December 30, 1993. . . .

. . . Alston never said publicly that he had been mistreated in baseball. His tombstone celebrates his time in the game; it is decorated with two birds on a bat, the Cardinals logo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953Mother'sCookies#24Alston8976Front.jpg (124.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 1953Mother'sCookies#24Alston8976Back.jpg (156.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-18-2024, 03:39 PM
Chris Counts

I picked up this piece not for the presence of Tom Alston, but Charlie Peete — an even more elusive Cardinal from that era who also had a tragic story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-08-18 at 2.34.18 PM.jpg (207.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

That's a great item, Chris, thanks for posting.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk