NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2024, 05:12 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Backs Finished! How about a 1916 M101-4/5 "Sporting News/Mendelsohn" Thread

I recently completed the ad back run for this series with 18 cards (minus a couple font and spacing variations). I can see there are other people here collecting these, so if you collect them with ad backs or blanks please post them here! This is a great set with a lot of collecting options that I enjoyed learning about during the journey. Lets see some for fun and maybe learn something!

1916 Group-1.jpg
1916 Group-2.jpg
1916 Group-3.jpg
Old 06-07-2024, 05:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As someone who has always enjoyed the backs of the M101-4/5s, congrats!

Old 06-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As someone who has always enjoyed the backs of the M101-4/5s, congrats!

Thanks Leon! I watched you chase type cards in your old collection for years, I think that sort of trickled down into my motivation to do this back run somehow. Now what? LOL!
Old 06-07-2024, 05:45 PM

Awesome, congrats. So cool to see them all together like that.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:41 PM

Plenty of backs in your display that are chock full of elusiveness. My m101-4/5 Black Sox'ers are happy that they don't have to compete against your cards at the county fair, as they would not come away with anything more than a participation ribbon, except of course if they are judging this year in Trimmed and Writing on Back categories.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m101blacksox 001.jpg (148.7 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg m101blacksoxbacks 001 (1400x690).jpg (107.0 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-08-2024 at 12:31 AM. Reason: change back size scan to more closely match front...it was bothering me!
Old 06-07-2024, 07:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Awesome run Greg, congrats on closing it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-07-2024, 10:20 PM
Sonny Tutor

Wow. Those look phenomenal together. Congratulations…I bet that took a while!!!
Old 06-08-2024, 12:41 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great job, Greg! Are you going to work on the back varieties? For example, there are three different Gimbels backs, etc.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:16 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Great job, Greg! Are you going to work on the back varieties? For example, there are three different Gimbels backs, etc.
Thanks Jay, I don't think I'm going to try for those. Tilted font and 1/8" spacing differences might qualify as "minutiae" for me and give me an excuse to pass
I think I'll be casually trying to upgrade a few instead, i.e. common-to-HOF and/or condition on a few if they ever come up.

Brian, thanks for posting some cards! I wasn't able to get any Black Sox myself!
Old 06-08-2024, 08:29 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Post Some Cards!

I ended up with some extras in the quest also:

1916 Group-4.jpg

For those interested, the last 4 backs to complete the group were

- Herpolsheimer
- Morehouse Baking
- Ware's Basement
- Standard Biscuit

I was lucky with this search because Mall Theatre and Burgess & Nash were offered in the same auction last year. I would have thought those two would be among the last.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Thanks Jay, I don't think I'm going to try for those. Tilted font and 1/8" spacing differences might qualify as "minutiae" for me and give me an excuse to pass
I think I'll be casually trying to upgrade a few instead, i.e. common-to-HOF and/or condition on a few if they ever come up.

Brian, thanks for posting some cards! I wasn't able to get any Black Sox myself!
Greg- C'mon, the master set of those isn't that difficult. Another 5-15 yrs and you should be able to do it!

Here is some of the set I used to own (not anymore), to show the minutiae. I think I was missing 1 of the different Everyodys...if I recall correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pm1014finaltypes.jpg (199.4 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-08-2024 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:50 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Nice Minutiae!

Leon, looks like I ended up with that Sisler!
Old 06-08-2024, 09:16 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Leon--That was a fantastic group. Since you put that together a second Wares back has been found. I'll post an image of both later so people can see the difference.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:29 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

(An aside: I am always shocked to see the blackened ball selected to be part of the (presumably) staged photograph used for Griff's cards. I am well aware that balls were precious and used well-beyond when their original shape, let alone whiteness, had long been compromised. But what continues to amaze me is that blackened balls were so normal to their way of thinking that it wouldn't have occurred to them to use a newer ball. They may even have figured using a new ball would make the picture look odd.)

I'm limited to Washington cards, so I have back-runs for individual players, but it is hard to approach all possible backs. In fact, five is my current maximum. From a type-collection standpoint, I can only muster nine different backs across all Washington players. Fortunately, my Washington collection includes Clark Griffith, who can cover five of them:
Old 06-08-2024, 10:03 AM
Todd Schultz

Kudos Greg, that’s a great grouping. I am fortunate to have completed the back run also, with the variations. Leon, here’s the one Everybody’s back I believe you were lacking, along with some other of my ungraded faves (the Faber has a reversed back, one of only two in the set I have seen with this feature):

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-08-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Thanks for posting cards!

Some great cards being shown! I think the three nicest Holmes backs I've seen so far...
Old 06-08-2024, 10:59 AM
Daniel

Congrats Greg!
(and to Todd, Leon, George, and Brian as well)

I'm still early in the journey, but here's my progress report so far:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M101supdate.jpg (213.2 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by IMAXMAX; 06-08-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 02:21 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default I see Phillies

Nice run Daniel, keep going!
Old 06-09-2024, 10:19 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
(An aside: I am always shocked to see the blackened ball selected to be part of the (presumably) staged photograph used for Griff's cards. I am well aware that balls were precious and used well-beyond when their original shape, let alone whiteness, had long been compromised. But what continues to amaze me is that blackened balls were so normal to their way of thinking that it wouldn't have occurred to them to use a newer ball. They may even have figured using a new ball would make the picture look odd.)

I'm limited to Washington cards, so I have back-runs for individual players, but it is hard to approach all possible backs. In fact, five is my current maximum. From a type-collection standpoint, I can only muster nine different backs across all Washington players. Fortunately, my Washington collection includes Clark Griffith, who can cover five of them:
Nice group of Griffs. What struck me about his photo is that it is ten years old by the time m101-4 was issued, as was McGraw's in a similar New York N.L. dark uni (probably both taken by Burke). Mendelsohn was so intent on getting "Action" photos that he must have thought dugout shots were to be shunned whenever possible. Of course, at least one was unavoidable:
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:43 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

These are the two Wares varieties. Not the line above Wares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3039.jpg (181.5 KB, 160 views)
Old 06-10-2024, 12:04 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Ware's

Boy, that's really subtle! Is the font thicker or just squished down a bit?
Old 06-10-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Boy, that's really subtle! Is the font thicker or just squished down a bit?
Looking at the examples it appears the best way to tell the difference is the length of the line above the 'Ware's'. It is either about the same length as the Ware's line, or it extends a little past on both sides.

Brian
Old 06-10-2024, 12:43 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

There are actually several differences, but as Brian points out the length of the line above Wares is the most obvious. The scarcer version (bottom) also has no comma after street, and less space between the E and S in WARES, etc.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:16 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

I see now, I thought the top was the new one before being informed about the line length.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:58 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Never Noticed

It appears I do have some of the minutiae from the set...a reversed back! From Reading Todd's article on these it appears these are common on low numbered F&B backs? Is this accurate Todd?

Minutiae.jpg
Old 06-10-2024, 10:24 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
It appears I do have some of the minutiae from the set...a reversed back! From Reading Todd's article on these it appears these are common on low numbered F&B backs? Is this accurate Todd?

Attachment 624592
Yes, it is common with Famous and Barr. More precisely, F&B low numbers 1-20 are nearly always found with the ad reading top to bottom like your Crawford. Numbers 21-33 I have only confirmed as reading the other way. Numbers 34-50 have some reading one way, some the other, and some reading either way (including Crawford). After that it's all bottom to top.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:26 AM
Scott S

Herpolsheimers have the same issue with some of the backs reversed. I forget the numbering system of how their backs are reversed, but I believe it may be numbered in the same way as the F&B backs have some backs in the opposite direction.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:20 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Herpolsheimers have the same issue with some of the backs reversed. I forget the numbering system of how their backs are reversed, but I believe it may be numbered in the same way as the F&B backs have some backs in the opposite direction.
You are correct sir. Herpolsheimer #s 1-20 all read top to bottom with the rest going the other direction. Notably, these low numbers all correspond to m101-5, unlike the remainder.
Block & Kuhl low #s 1-20 also align like the Herpolsheimers, with the low numbers matching m101-5 and the rest m101-4, but the ads of the low number B&Ks can run either way.
Confused yet?
Old 06-11-2024, 09:00 PM
Val Kehl

I'm enjoying this informative thread with lots of eye candy. Shown below is an example for each of the ad backs I have. I don't have a Mall Theatre or most of the back-printing variations. I'm always looking for WaJo with any of the backs I don't have of him (I have a few not shown below). Sorry, but I lack the PC skill to display these in a compact form, as the OP and some others have done. Because of this, it's taken two posts to show them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 Altoona Tribune #137 - Peck - front.jpg (202.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Altoona Tribune #137 - Peck - back.jpg (186.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Block & Kuhl #7 Austin - front.jpg (53.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Block & Kuhl #7 Austin - back.jpg (54.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #176 Burgess-Nash - Turner - front.jpg (179.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #176 Burgess-Nash - Turner - back.jpg (193.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Everybody's #22 Bush - Type 4 back - front.jpg (165.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Everybody's #22 Bush - Type 4 back - back.jpg (155.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Everybody's #33 Clarke - Type 1 back - front.jpg (160.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Everybody's #33 Clarke - Type 1 back - back.jpg (165.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Famous & Barr #113 - McBride - front.jpg (105.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Famous & Barr #113 - McBride - back.jpg (77.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Gimbels #91 - WaJo - front.jpg (95.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Gimbels #91 - WaJo - back.jpg (77.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Green-Joyce #125 Pat Moran - front.jpg (167.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Green-Joyce #125 Pat Moran - back.jpg (120.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #101 Herpolsheimer - Leibold - front.jpg (177.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #101 Herpolsheimer - Leibold - back.jpg (154.9 KB, 102 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 06-11-2024 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Fantastic Peckinpaugh Val.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-11-2024, 09:14 PM
Val Kehl

Thanks, Phil. Here's a continuation of my prior post:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 #123 Holmes-to-Homes , Moran - front.jpg (200.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #123 Holmes-to-Homes , Moran - back.jpg (199.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #120 Indy Brewing - Clyde Milan - front.jpg (203.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 #120 Indy Brewing - Clyde Milan - back.jpg (187.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Morehouse Baking D352 #90 WaJo - front.jpg (95.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Morehouse Baking D352 #90 WaJo - back.jpg (106.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg M101-4 Sporting News - WaJo #91 - front.jpg (144.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg M101-4 Sporting News - WaJo #91 - back.jpg (108.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 D350-1 #158 Standard Biscuit - Schulte - front.jpg (156.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 D350-1 #158 Standard Biscuit - Schulte - back.jpg (159.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Successful Farming #198 Zeider - front.jpg (164.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Successful Farming #198 Zeider - back.jpg (166.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 The Globe H801-9 #3 Ainsmith - front.jpg (154.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 The Globe H801-9 #3 Ainsmith - back.jpg (185.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Ware's #142 Eppa Rixey - front.jpg (202.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Ware's #142 Eppa Rixey - back.jpg (186.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 D329 Weil Baking #72 Griffith - front.jpg (161.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 D329 Weil Baking #72 Griffith - back.jpg (177.0 KB, 97 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 06-11-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:08 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Fixed

Here you go Val

Val-1a.jpg
Val-1.jpg
Val-2.jpg
Val-3.jpg
Val-4.jpg
Old 06-12-2024, 11:32 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great stuff, Val. Mall Theatre, the two straight letter Gimbels variations, the Everybody's variation only available on Baker and the new Wares variation are all really really scarce.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:52 AM

Great collection Val, and impressive display adjustment of it Greg.

Brian
Old 06-12-2024, 03:39 PM
Val Kehl

Greg, many thanks for making such an attractive display of my M101 cards - very much appreciated! And, thanks to others for their kind words.

Last edited by ValKehl; 06-12-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Leon--That was a fantastic group. Since you put that together a second Wares back has been found. I'll post an image of both later so people can see the difference.
Just what I would have needed, another hole to fill. Glad I am not so earnest about ALL of them anymore. I am very liesurely this time out. (and thanks to everyone showing their backs!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holmes.jpg (197.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-15-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:12 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Nice Holmes Backs Posted

Leon, do you have any background on where that Holmes came from? I think I remember that most (90%+) of the Holmes to Homes backs are known from a salesman sample/scrapbook "find" that left them with varying degrees of back damage, and some with front damage from being torn out of the pages. There are a handful in this thread that seem free of the glue/rip damage. Are these cards that were found separately? I'll bet some people haven't heard about this, so it might be good to bring it up again. What do you recall about these backs?