NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default microscopy

Posted By: Hankron 

After my last post on Bond bread cards, two emailed me to say they got microscopes-- so now I feel obligated.

Starting Monday at me website's 'Pack Secrets' newsletter section (www.cycleback.com) I will start a series of brief but informative and practical articles on using your new microscope (80x power or better) to authenticate early baseball cards. It will include lots of microscopic pictures and what to look for.

Just like like all areas of technology-- from cards to medicine to computers-- printing technology and techniques changed over time. What was popular in 1910 might be obsolete in 1970, and what is popular in 1995 didn't exist 1950. Each type of printing can be identified with a microscope, because, quite simply, each type of printing looks different from the other. When the collector knows what to look for, he will no more mistake a 1980 lithograph for a 1910 lithograph than he will a Mazda Miata for a Model T (Though as Elliot will testify, I'm not good with cars).

Also, you do not have to be some big printing historian and know how such and such printing was made. You simply have to know what such and such looks like under a microscope and when and how it was used. Those who have microscopes will find themselves saying in the future, "Okay, this type of printing is vintage, so this card is genuine." Or "This type of printing wasn't used on baseball cards in 1905, so this has to be a reprint."

Lastly, baseball cards have always been mass produced commercial products, almost always made with the latest technology of the day. This means that, say, in 1880 or 1930 cards were only made using 2 or 3 types of printing. So, it's not a case where the collector is required to memoraize the elements table for the Chemistry final or all the local flora and fauna before joining the nature club ... It is also perfectly acceptable, and in fact advisable, to learn one thing at a time. If, for example, all you ever learn is how to identify photoengraving, you will have learned how to identify the printing on 40 percent of all cards. If, on the other hand, all you ever learn is how to identify laser printing, you will never again be fooled by a card made on someone's home computer printer.

As noted, the illustrated articles will be posted at the website starting Monday, and a new one will be added periodically (perhaps once a week, though that's a guestimate). Usually, once an article is posted at the 'Pack Secrets' it stays there forever (some on there are about 3 years old-- that's as old as Henry!), so there's no need to feel rushed for fear that the articals are ephemeral.