NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-18-2024, 11:49 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default Ringside Gold /9 (or not)

The Ringside issues were really the last 'full and proper' boxing card set we've gone. The 2011 Gold's are said to be /9 and the 2010's /10 (less often) or to /9 (most commonly) depending on the source from the time of issue. They are not serial though, and are a good example of why cards should be serialized if they are said to be done in small print runs.

This isn't true though. For example, pulling a random card, there are 5 of the 2010 #34 James Jeffries on COMC, another 1 on eBay, and 2 in my collection I bought just last week. This is in no way unusual, there are often 5-9 of a particular card on the market at any given time. Cards /9 from over a decade ago are very tough to find. These kinds of cards flood the market when they are released and then go into collections and become difficult to ever find again, even if not expensive at all because the people who bought cheap low numbered cards wanted those cards and have low impetus to sell them. The odds that 50%+ of the print run is available on the market at any given time is close to 0. These are by far the most common /9 cards ever released.

Hell, there are 17 Lennox Lewis #55 Golds on COMC alone right now. Impossible if they are numbered to /9. Here's D&A's listing that has the original marketing text advertising the gold base parallel cards as /9: https://www.dacardworld.com/sports-c...xing-hobby-box

The people selling them and labelling as /9 are probably not being dishonest as this came from the original release announcements and marketing material, but I think it should be noted that this claim is clearly not true and somehow there are obviously a lot more than 9 of each card out there. I don't know if the extra supply comes from backdoored cards, or selling excess stock after the release, or if the maker straight up lied, but it is clearly present today. I know this set isn't popular but it should be noted and I haven't seen it said anywhere online.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:20 AM
Dave

Not a set I've ever gotten into, but doesn't surprise me in the least. Most boxing releases, modern-ish or otherwise, have not really been known for their quality control.

The 1991 Kayo's are supposed to be seeded with autographed cards in the packs. I've opened dozens of boxes and I've never pulled one or heard of anybody pulling one.

If somebody did pull one, I'm not even sure what would differentiate them from the 1000's of base cards that have been signed at Canastota, at other shows and various events and through the mail since then.

I'm sure some exist and somebody could show me one, but they would be like chasing Willie Wonka's Golden Ticket to pull one from a box.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:51 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Not a set I've ever gotten into, but doesn't surprise me in the least. Most boxing releases, modern-ish or otherwise, have not really been known for their quality control.

The 1991 Kayo's are supposed to be seeded with autographed cards in the packs. I've opened dozens of boxes and I've never pulled one or heard of anybody pulling one.

If somebody did pull one, I'm not even sure what would differentiate them from the 1000's of base cards that have been signed at Canastota, at other shows and various events and through the mail since then.

I'm sure some exist and somebody could show me one, but they would be like chasing Willie Wonka's Golden Ticket to pull one from a box.
The Kayo autograph inserts use a different design, with a red border and "signature card" on the front, so that if one did pull one it can be differentiated from the base cards signed later at shows and such. There's a least 5 of them out there that TCDB has pictures of: https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist.cfm/s...ignature-Cards

These have got to be among the absolute toughest of early 90's inserts. I know Kayo didn't advertise odds but they must be truly astronomical. I have never yet encountered somebody who owned one or pulled one. Even with the massive print run (There's what, 100,000 sets for every boxing fan in America?) and that so much of it was never opened there can't be more than a handful of any subject produced. Would be pretty incredible and fun to pull one, but every box I crack is just poorly collated base of course...
Old 08-19-2024, 11:29 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The Kayo autograph inserts use a different design, with a red border and "signature card" on the front, so that if one did pull one it can be differentiated from the base cards signed later at shows and such. There's a least 5 of them out there that TCDB has pictures of: https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist.cfm/s...ignature-Cards

These have got to be among the absolute toughest of early 90's inserts. I know Kayo didn't advertise odds but they must be truly astronomical. I have never yet encountered somebody who owned one or pulled one. Even with the massive print run (There's what, 100,000 sets for every boxing fan in America?) and that so much of it was never opened there can't be more than a handful of any subject produced. Would be pretty incredible and fun to pull one, but every box I crack is just poorly collated base of course...

Ahhh, thanks. I've probably seen a couple posted before, but they're long from my memory banks.

I've definitely never held one in my hands or seen one in person.

Yup, Huuuuuge print run, like most things from the early 90's. Truly astronomical odds. Not even at one per case, because I've opened a full case (20 boxes) before for ha ha's, back in the early 2000's, and never pulled one.

Have you seen any sales prices on these? They probably wouldn't even go for much if a few popped up at auction.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Ahhh, thanks. I've probably seen a couple posted before, but they're long from my memory banks.

I've definitely never held one in my hands or seen one in person.

Yup, Huuuuuge print run, like most things from the early 90's. Truly astronomical odds. Not even at one per case, because I've opened a full case (20 boxes) before for ha ha's, back in the early 2000's, and never pulled one.

Have you seen any sales prices on these? They probably wouldn't even go for much if a few popped up at auction.
A copy of the Charles Williams sold for the $50 minimum bid a couple months ago on eBay. I was watching it, considering the scarcity $50 isn't a bad price at all, but it just seems too much for an unnumbered signature. I don't follow this set closely but I have not seen more than like 2 copies of any particular card. On the other hand I'd rather have 1 of them than 5 unopened boxes. I open a box every year or two just because it's fun and they are pretty much free.

This Pernell Whitaker I had saved in my photo archive is missing the actual signature. I don't know if any signed copies exist or if Whitaker didn't end up signing after all. It would be interesting just to see a true checklist even.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am not sure that the Kayo signature cards ever made it into the packs. They are unspeakably rare but have been known to exist for a long time. A small cache of them surfaced several years ago and virtually nothing since then. I picked up a few of them:

I think I still have at least one, maybe two of them.

We should do a thread on rare-as-f**k modern boxing. Might be interesting.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
A copy of the Charles Williams sold for the $50 minimum bid a couple months ago on eBay. I was watching it, considering the scarcity $50 isn't a bad price at all, but it just seems too much for an unnumbered signature. I don't follow this set closely but I have not seen more than like 2 copies of any particular card. On the other hand I'd rather have 1 of them than 5 unopened boxes. I open a box every year or two just because it's fun and they are pretty much free.

This Pernell Whitaker I had saved in my photo archive is missing the actual signature. I don't know if any signed copies exist or if Whitaker didn't end up signing after all. It would be interesting just to see a true checklist even.

That's interesting. Wonder if they made a bunch up for Pernell, but they were never able to get them signed.

Even the 1996 Ringside Autograph cards are not seeded very generously within the packs. Don't think I've ever pulled one of those either, though I do see them around and have had several of them in my possession from other sources. They are usually lesser known fighters from what I can remember.

I don't even see a list on TCBD

They have some "Spotlights In The Ring" Autographed Cards......but I don't think those are even a thing.

The autographed inserts are supposed to have an embossed seal on the front. I have seen them pop up on Ebay occasionally and they don't sell for much when they do.
Old 08-23-2024, 02:58 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I am not sure that the Kayo signature cards ever made it into the packs. They are unspeakably rare but have been known to exist for a long time. A small cache of them surfaced several years ago and virtually nothing since then. I picked up a few of them:

I think I still have at least one, maybe two of them.

We should do a thread on rare-as-f**k modern boxing. Might be interesting.
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.....or maybe they mistakenly inserted them all into a single case that's still floating around out there somewhere.

They may not have not gotten them back in time to put in the packs and they ended up in the aftermarket years later, after they dumped their overstock to Kruk Cards or somebody else to try and cut back on some of their losses.

I pretty sure the creator of the 1996 Ringside set never overstocked his stuff and dumped it out...but he was selling off what was left himself, including case toppers and promo stuff all the way into the 2010's on Ebay and other places.
Old 08-26-2024, 03:01 PM

Was there ever an issued auto card of Evander Holyfield in the '90s? It's hard to locate much signed by him. Considering his financial difficulties, I'm surprised he hasn't hit the show circuit.

Last edited by Brent G.; 08-26-2024 at 03:01 PM.