NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old Today, 09:37 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Default Potential scam through Craigslist

Potential scam :

I paid Alex Julian of Chillicothe Ohio for these two cards yesterday and have not had consistent communication with him since payment was sent. I met this individual through Craigslist, somehow my ad in Brooklyn NY was found by them in western PA/Ohio.

I'll update this thread if any developments arise. Has anyone else seen or dealt with this individual?

He also claims to have a 1953 Topps set, 1957 Topps set and 1961 Topps set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240528_124926.jpg (105.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20240528_123650.jpg (115.4 KB, 173 views)

Greenberg collection
Old Today, 10:00 AM
octavio ranzola

You sent money to a complete stranger on craigslist hmmm
Old Today, 10:02 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
You sent money to a complete stranger on craigslist hmmm
Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just going to take another goofy picture of a card in front of your face?

Greenberg collection
Old Today, 10:14 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Sir,

Octavio is not the problem. You sent money to a stranger on Craigslist. That is a hard and true fact.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old Today, 10:14 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Hopefully you paid using a method where you have some recourse if he flakes out. Like maybe Paypal Goods & Services.

Never heard of him, but if he's a scammer, then he's one of many who seek to separate us from our money in exchange for sweet, sweet cardboard. These days, it's hard to trust anyone who you don't know.

I wish you the best of luck here. Maybe he's just slow to respond, and you'll get your purchased items soon enough. Hopefully it's nothing more nefarious.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old Today, 10:33 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just going to take another goofy picture of a card in front of your face?
Thanks for the nice reply i hope it works out for you ,,im sure you will receive both cards ,maybe if the person that sold you the cards had his picture up ,,you would feel better.anyway good luck octavio
Old Today, 10:52 AM
jim qu.inlisk

I think it's a good sign that the pics show somebody holding the card and both have the same background. The majority of stolen card images I've seen were lifted from auctions and they wouldn't use pics like that. I do hope it wasn't paypal gift though. Best of luck!
Old Today, 11:12 AM

I sure hope the money hasn't already been spent on drugs. Poor Chillicothe. I would have loved to have seen it a long time ago. The remaining bones of the town make me think it was an interesting place way back when. It's interesting now, but for all the wrong reasons.
Old Today, 11:19 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default My experience

I’ve had mostly scammers when I deal on Craigslist…. and especially ( like 100%) when they respond to an ad to buy. Not to be pessimistic but I think there’s a good chance the person you sent the funds to is NOT Alex Julian and does not live in Ohio. What method of payment did you use? And how good a deal did you get? Scammers tend to offer big discounts with a good story to go along with it. Just for my education, I would like to hear more details about this…. I’m sorry you are having problems and hope it turns out well for you. Rocky
Old Today, 12:31 PM
bR!@N R0+H

"Alex" has either disconnected his number or blocked me so this is confirmed a scam.

The cards were apparently his grandfather's who passed away recently, he and his dad were going through his estate in Clarion PA. The deal was certainly too good to be true but I spoke to this person for a fair amount of time (at least I thought) for me to judge his character.

He went to the Clarion post office yesterday afternoon to ship the cards and sent me this tracking number:

RA252573870US

USPS has not scanned this package yet, and after speaking to a representative at the Clarion post office he confirmed that any package dropped off yesterday has been scanned. This package was expected to be sent priority express. When I sent the picture that Alex sent to me of him standing in the line at the post office their representative said that lobby is not what it looks like in their post office.

I'm in touch with my business insurance company and have begun to file a claim. Waiting for their advice on where/when to file a police report.

Greenberg collection
Old Today, 12:47 PM
jim qu.inlisk

Numbers at USPS that start with R are registered mail. If it was accepted at USPS like he said and it didn't have activity on the postal intranet heads would roll. You're right about a scam.

Last edited by jimq16415; Today at 12:48 PM.