NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM

Default My $3 Tribute to Zito / Hudson / Mulder

While I was hunting Canseco cards at the Tri-Star card show over a year ago, I started shuffling through several boxes of el-cheap-o game used cards. They were sectioned off by team, so my first stop was the Athletics, of course. Sadly, they didn't have any Canseco cards at all, but they did have several recognizable names. Zito...Zito...Mulder...Zito....Hudson...Mulder...

Hmmm, wait a second. "Excuse me, sir. How much are these each?"

The dealer responded with "They are $1 a pop."

The wheels in my head started to turn. I had my hand in a bunch of cheap cards from Oakland's former Big Three pitchers! Surely, this would be a fun little project! So, I decided to grab one each of Zito, Mulder and Hudson. To make things interesting, I decided to try and grab each with a different color. I was able to pick up a green, a gray and a white.

When I got home, I put them in the "to be slaughtered" pile in the top of my hutch and forgot about them. As with many projects that I conjure up in my head, they just sat there gathering dust.

Mulder has been retired for a while, Huddy said this was his last year, and Zito just recently said he is done. In my mind, these are still 3 young stars - how on earth did it come to this? I honestly don't know, but here we are ... in a Zito-Hudson-Mulderless world (well, baseball world, that is!)

I figured now would be as good a time as any to have some fun with these dusty old $1 cards. I started playing with a few ideas in Photoshop. Here are a few early renditions.

My first try:

Second try:

Third try:

I ended up dropping the Triple Threads type of game used text. I've oftentimes wondered if Topps hired the Chic-Fil-A cows to come up with what they say on cards. Many times they just seem bizarre.

Anyway, I didn't want to spend a TON of time on the card, so I settled on this:

To amp things up just a bit, I decided to make the card a foil one. I don't think you can tell too terribly much from the picture, but when you look at the card in hand, think: 1993 SP foil cards.

It was a fun little project I was able to do of 3 pitching aces from my favorite team, and aside from the time it took, all it cost me was $3.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

That's awesome Mouschi!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Yes, another great piece by you! $1 each, you can't go wrong!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Dave

Very cool. How long did it take you to make the card ?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Very cool. How long did it take you to make the card ?
I basically worked on it on and off today. I'm not sure how many "hours" it took, but this one wasn't a long one to do, because it was more of a personal project I had in the hopper and not something that I'd collect personally. If it were a Canseco card, I'd probably put in three times as much time into it lol!

I will say I spent 15-30 minutes on it a week ago, but scrapped everything I did from that one in terms of design.

Last edited by mouschi; 10-20-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Dave

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.