NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 AM
Jerry

Default 1966 Topps Series Release Dates ... Approx?

Anybody know the approx. timeline for release of the 1966 Topps cards e.g. Series one released in April, Series two released in May, etc? I'm trying to reconstruct a timeline for when I opened packs ... by series ... in 1966. Obviously I have way to much time on my hands right now :-) This all came about today when I was thumbing thru my almost complete 66T set in binder ... and was able to identify cards that I'm sure I bought in 1966 (I wrote on some of them ... I was 8 years old). I'm still working on this set :-) I think I bought maybe (15) packs in 1966 based on the # of cards I'm pretty sure I pulled. I bought a bunch of 66T's in the 1980's at card shows in Atlanta when I was trying to complete the set. Then joined OBC and they've been helping me along the way. I'm down to 8 cards, mostly the high #'s. I'll eventually scan all the cards I think are original to my purchases in 1966. Pretty cool how I formed an image of many of those cards over 50 years ago and I can still identify those cards as cards I pulled from packs (Del Crandall for instance ... as an 8 year old I couldn't figure out why an old, old man was playing baseball ... check out his 66T card! :-). Anyway ... if anyone knows about when each series was released in 1966, that would be cool to know. Thank you.

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/

Last edited by obcbeatle; 04-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Albert Bee

Default 66 t

yea, thats interesting..on the back of some 1960s Topps cards ,there are sometimes clues -

" he retired on May 14 ", " optioned to Tidewater on June 3, " traded to... etc..
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Bill par.sons

hi i know i bought 6th series cards in late august, but my store never had the 7th series. by then we had philly fb cards.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 AM
Jerry

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the backs of some of those cards. I was looking at my 67T binder too and noticed last night that I bought a pack of 67T's in the 7th series! And quite a few 67T's in the 6th series. So that year I must have been buying packs in August/September? I do remember the fb cards coming out in the Fall at my local 5 and 10 and the bbc boxes either drying up or being removed by the owner. I wonder if Philly FB cards were just a Philadelphia market? I'd never heard of those fb cards till a few years ago.

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Albert Bee

Default 67T 7th series

here is a pic of back of 67T Hi # Piersall..it .makes note that he retired May 8,...so Topps was printing 7 th series cards past that date
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 Pers.jpg (42.8 KB, 311 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM

I have wondered about the same info--when series were released. I recently found a couple of old Christmas pictures(from 1966)of my brother and I opening packages from under the tree.Strewn all around us are Topps baseball card wrappers! I counted at least ten seperate wrappers. I can see at least two seperate stacks of cards we made. One had a 7th series #586 Claude Raymond on top. The other stack had a 6th Series John O'Donoghue on top. My parents had bought cards from two different late series and probably put them in our stockings!!! Wow I sure wish I had the original cards from that day.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Wayne V

Default Phiily cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbeatle View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll check the backs of some of those cards. I was looking at my 67T binder too and noticed last night that I bought a pack of 67T's in the 7th series! And quite a few 67T's in the 6th series. So that year I must have been buying packs in August/September? I do remember the fb cards coming out in the Fall at my local 5 and 10 and the bbc boxes either drying up or being removed by the owner. I wonder if Philly FB cards were just a Philadelphia market? I'd never heard of those fb cards till a few years ago.
I know we had the Philly cards in New Orleans. Pretty sure they were nationwide. I don't remember seeing AFL cards in New Orleans from the years 1962 to 1967, or maybe they were there and I just wasn't interested. I was a pretty big NFL snob, back in those days. AFL ! Yuck !
Old 04-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Albert Bee

Default 66t

Wow,..That Keene card ..holy crap

Imagine opening a pack with him, Crandell, a team card, a checklist card,and another no hat wearing bald guy !!
Old 04-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
I know we had the Philly cards in New Orleans. Pretty sure they were nationwide. I don't remember seeing AFL cards in New Orleans from the years 1962 to 1967, or maybe they were there and I just wasn't interested. I was a pretty big NFL snob, back in those days. AFL ! Yuck !
Hi depending on the store in Lakeville/Middleboro Massachusetts you could get Philly FB (local mom & pop) or Topps (bigger chain grocery stores). The Mom & POP tended to have all sorts of stuff BB, FB, and non sports. The larger chain had Rack Packs (bb) and packs with candy in the register checkout. This was 1965-68.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Basic math.
There are fewer star cards simply because there are fewer star players than there are scrubs (as my brother-in-law is wont to say) on any given team or in the league as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.