NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-22-2024, 10:20 AM
D@le Irv*n

Default Any Elly De La Cruz love?

I only own a few small cards but thinking of maybe grabbing a few more?
No doubt the kid is talented and fun to watch.
https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/elly-de-la-cr...jays-1.2164622
Old 08-22-2024, 10:56 AM
Dave

Still very young. Needs to cut down on the strikeouts and become a bit more disciplined at the plate or he'll have a tougher time as he gets older with that tall rangy frame of his. Make that hole in the swing a little bit smaller if possible.

Different positions, but his game reminds me a lot of another Reds player in Eric Davis. Fun and reckless and fast, and maybe just a little bit dangerous.

Hopefully he stays healthier then Davis.
Old 08-23-2024, 02:22 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Still very young. Needs to cut down on the strikeouts and become a bit more disciplined at the plate or he'll have a tougher time as he gets older with that tall rangy frame of his. Make that hole in the swing a little bit smaller if possible.

Different positions, but his game reminds me a lot of another Reds player in Eric Davis. Fun and reckless and fast, and maybe just a little bit dangerous.

Hopefully he stays healthier then Davis.
That, for sure.
There's likely other players currently that are getting more love/attention but since he just played the Jays the other night, and it was my first time watching him this year, then getting 60 steals, I was curious how much hobby love he actually had?
He did pretty good with the Jays and kept the strikeouts to a minimum so maybe things are looking up for him in that dept?
Seems like a good kid too.

It took a little while, but shortstop Elly De La Cruz became one of the rare 20/60 players in Major League Baseball on Wednesday during an 11-7 victory over the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. "It means a lot," said De La Cruz. "I've said before that that's why I'm working the whole season. I feel so proud, so happy."
Old 08-24-2024, 04:56 AM
Danny Gr|mes

I would like to own one as I do not have a RC of him yet. I’m not paying stupid $ and still hoping to rip one out of a pack

Last edited by refz; 08-24-2024 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:56 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by refz View Post
I would like to own one as I do not have a RC of him yet. I’m not paying stupid $ and still hoping to rip one out of a pack
I have been convinced since around 2010 that I would not rip packs looking for anything again. At the current price of a pack of cards, I can pay up to 200 for anything I want and I am more than likely saving a ton. It’s not as fun, but it sure is more economical.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:21 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I was curious how much hobby love he actually had? [/B]
He has a huge hobby following that have run up his prices to awful heights. I collect him because I collect Reds players. I want a RC auto, but even the cheap autos are more than they should be going for.

His agent is Scott Boras. He won't sign with Cincinnati long term.

If I had to point someone in a direction, I would probably point them in the direction of the 2023 Topps Now Call Up parallels or relics. The triple base relic with a picture of him stealing home is awesome. I want that card. I think those have better potential for growth than the crazy prices for 2024 stuff. (here's an example off of ebay). 2023 Topps Now has no other competition, I think there were 17 base cards total with his image.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-28-2024, 09:37 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
He has a huge hobby following that have run up his prices to awful heights. I collect him because I collect Reds players. I want a RC auto, but even the cheap autos are more than they should be going for.

His agent is Scott Boras. He won't sign with Cincinnati long term.

If I had to point someone in a direction, I would probably point them in the direction of the 2023 Topps Now Call Up parallels or relics. The triple base relic with a picture of him stealing home is awesome. I want that card. I think those have better potential for growth than the crazy prices for 2024 stuff. (here's an example off of ebay). 2023 Topps Now has no other competition, I think there were 17 base cards total with his image. [/IMG]

I was not aware of that but it is the reason I asked.
I remember debating back and forth with myself about those Topps Now cards, but as you can see, I regretfully didn't purchase any of the ones I came across.

Thanks for the info, Tim.

Last edited by irv; 08-28-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:12 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I was not aware of that but it is the reason I asked.
I remember debating back and forth with myself about those Topps Now cards, but as you can see, I regretfully didn't purchase any of the ones I came across.

Thanks for the info, Tim.
I think 2023 Topps Now have been forgotten with the new 2024 product that seems to be coming out every week. Ebay sellers have most of the 2023 Now product as Buy It Now / OBO. That's why I think it has greater potential long term. Especially the cards dealing with his Cycle he hit last year, or the relic example I gave above. If someone is looking for rookie cards in 30 years, the Now cards document his meteoric rise. With the OBO option, you might find a seller willing to move product for less than their listed price.

His 2022 Bowman 1st cards are still significant, including the parallels, but I've seen the Chrome Mega /99 being offered at $1000. That's slightly out of my price range.

He has 2022 Bowman autos that don't have the 1st symbol. Those autos are less pricy, $300 or less on a good day, but they don't have the same popularity. Another pre-rookie auto I like is this one from 2022 Inception (photo from Ebay). It's $250.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 08-28-2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:26 AM

Elly is certainly a fun player to watch. Unfortunately Patch auto's do not grade out too high. Good post Dale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elly 2.JPG (46.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-30-2024, 11:18 AM
Dave L.

Seems to me to be somewhere on the Jason Heyward branch of the tree. A ton of athletic ability, tall, strong but with some flaws. But if he becomes a better hitter somehow and stays healthy - has all the physical tools to be in the HOF.
Old 09-03-2024, 01:28 PM

He could be a very special player if he spends his time this offseason working on taking a walk. Very few players survive while leading the league in strikeouts.

This is his first full season and the league doesn't seem to have a problem striking him out. Without serious adjustment, he could drift into Chris Davis territory and become essentially useless. He's probably having as much success as is possible while still striking out 3 times as much as he walks, and his average is probably plateauing at 261, which isn't great. I can't imagine it will improve from there if he doesn't start walking.

Last edited by packs; 09-03-2024 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:16 PM
Danny Gr|mes

I don’t buy a lot of packs occasionally if I’m at Walmart or the card shop. I stopped buying packs in the early 2000s but it’s nice to open a couple once in awhile
Old 09-08-2024, 03:04 PM

The Best Prospect Cards of Reds Sensation Elly De La Cruz

My Elly De La Cruz (I love minor league cards):