NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Scott

Default With all the ACE talk, I find this interesting.

I wonder if their business will suffer.

Plus, JSA, PSA, Beckett and SGC there too. Something is out of whack.

http://www.nyshows.org/White_Plains_...ture_Show.html
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Scott S

Maybe ACE can find a new place to market itself - I see that copies of SCD will be given out for free at the show! There must be some sort of "Six Degrees of Coaches Corner" game they can all play amongst themselves...
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Steve Zarelli

Anyone else see the irony in the Ace of Spades in their logo?

ACE is the authenticity kiss of death...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Banned

Ace goes to the big shows. i dont know how he get submissions. of course he does the Frank and son collectible show all the time, in the city of industry, CA.

you get what you pay for I guess.

Ace website is really something else.

The 'experts' page shows himself and a Joe Mauer expert. that pretty thin on experts. The Joe Mauer guy probably knows his stuff but its like having a Kordell Stewart expert or something. But then again, why would they need lots of consultant experts on staff when Justin Priddy is on the case!

Last edited by travrosty; 08-19-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Ace

I remember several years ago when I was trying to finish a Perfect Game pitchers baseball. There were a few players I needed to get on the ball who didn't regularly do shows. Justin Priddy was able to get a private signing with a few of these pitchers. I needed one or two of them on my ball. I emailed him to get the details of pricing because his ad was vague. It turned out that he had a pricing tier based on how complete your item was. If you were just buying a single signature on an unsigned item the price was pretty fair. But if your item contained other signatures then the price went up. Since mine was near complete he wanted to charge me several hundred dollars for a single signature to be added! I told him I had never heard of anyone doing this. He said that since he was trying to get a bunch of completed PG items for himself to sell, he didn't want competition. What a douchebag!

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 08-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I remember several years ago when I was trying to finish a Perfect Game pitchers baseball. There were a few players I needed to get on the ball who didn't regularly do shows. Justin Priddy was able to get a private signing with a few of these pitchers. I needed one or two of them on my ball. I emailed him to get the details of pricing because his ad was vague. It turned out that he had a pricing tier based on how complete your item was. If you were just buying a single signature on an unsigned item the price was pretty fair. But if your item contained other signatures then the price went up. Since mine was near complete he wanted to charge me several hundred dollars for a single signature to be added! I told him I had never heard of anyone doing this. He said that since he was trying to get a bunch of completed PG items for himself to sell, he didn't want competition. What a douchebag!
That is quite turd-like. He was wanting to "participate" in the perceived secondary value of the item. That is quite the norm in the TPA world, why else would you charge a elevated scale for the same service based on the value of the name/signature you are authenticating.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Wow!! That is a story of a turd if I ever heard one.
Thanks Randy for posting this one, we are learning more and more about Mr Priddy every day.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

If you sign up for his yearly subscription, you get a free ACE t-shirt and hobby bag. also you get guaranteed 1 hour turnaround on your autograph at shows.

So is he saying he can authenticate any autograph in one hour? he doesnt think there are autographs out there that might take longer than that?

Last edited by travrosty; 08-20-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Richard Simon

A t-shirt, ripoffs on pricing, one hour authentications,,,
a new hobby star is born, though it sounds more like a carwash.
Amazing that he has not come on here to defend himself, I would be willing to bet he is well aware of Net54.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-21-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 AM

Default Funny shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
A t-shirt, ripoffs on pricing, one hour authentications,,,
a new hobby star is born, though it sounds more like a carwash.
Amazing that he has not come on here to defend himself, I would be willing to bet he is well aware of Net54.
Richard,
This is some pretty funny shit. I love it!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
That is quite the norm in the TPA world, why else would you charge a elevated scale for the same service based on the value of the name/signature you are authenticating.
I always figured it was a risk premium--charged for more valuable items. If something were to go wrong it would be really costly to stand behind it, so you charge a bit more to everyone as sort of an insurance premium. I realize that begs the question of them standing behind their work...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-21-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Default Risk premium??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I always figured it was a risk premium--charged for more valuable items. If something were to go wrong it would be really costly to stand behind it, so you charge a bit more to everyone as sort of an insurance premium. I realize that begs the question of them standing behind their work...
They are offering an OPINION. IMHO they are not offering anything in the way of guarantees if they get their opinion wrong.

Your only guarantee is that you will pay a higher fee if the the item is more valuable. It sounds like a guaranteed winner for the company issuing the opinion and a gouge for the person submitting the autograph.....
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

This is a good point. If it only cost 20 buck to authenticate a Ruth, then the company would be flooded with fakes.

I have heard that GAI started charging only if the item was found authentic. That is ridiculous, because it not only incentivizes crooks to send in every fake they can find/make, but it leads to the company lowering its standards until they will pass anything (which has happened at GAI).

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all