NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Default Babe Ruth Card Information

i know this is the wrong forum, i placed it in the correct forum but i did not get any answers. I have a certified 1951/52 Brown & Bigelow Babe Ruth Cuban Winter League Schedule. SGC has certified it a 40.

does anyone have any information on this card? I have a picture of it in my original thread here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141159

are these a new discovery?

what would they be worth?

Last edited by bcookie; 12-13-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don't think these are common, but I don't think they'd be worth significantly more than the 53 B&B although there'd definitely be a premium. Ruth collectors typically look for cards within his playing days, unique poses, or within a major set (e.g, 51 Topps Connie Mac), and this card has none of those. It's still a unique card so you should be able to get something for it.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I don't think these are common, but I don't think they'd be worth significantly more than the 53 B&B although there'd definitely be a premium. Ruth collectors typically look for cards within his playing days, unique poses, or within a major set (e.g, 51 Topps Connie Mac), and this card has none of those. It's still a unique card so you should be able to get something for it.
As a fairly die hard type card collector the commemorative type cards don't really do it for me, most times. I think value would be no more than a few dollars on these....I don't think they are common either but they also lack the demand side of the equation so the value would be low.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As a fairly die hard type card collector the commemorative type cards don't really do it for me, most times. I think value would be no more than a few dollars on these....I don't think they are common either but they also lack the demand side of the equation so the value would be low.
since this is from 1951 and the known Brown & Bigelow cards are thought to have started in 1953, should these cards be a new entry in the card catalog?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcookie View Post
since this is from 1951 and the known Brown & Bigelow cards are thought to have started in 1953, should these cards be a new entry in the card catalog?
I doubt a new entry and if anything there could be a blurb that might say **

"Cuban series thought to be from circa 1951."

If you have definitive proof the ones you have are from 1951 it might be worth passing the info on. There is still a ton of info to be had on many sets. Just a few minutes ago I sent OldCardboard a note asking if they want to update their 1912 Baseball Player Stamps with 4 uncataloged non-sports stamps from the series. best regards
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I doubt a new entry and if anything there could be a blurb that might say **

"Cuban series thought to be from circa 1951."

If you have definitive proof the ones you have are from 1951 it might be worth passing the info on. There is still a ton of info to be had on many sets. Just a few minutes ago I sent OldCardboard a note asking if they want to update their 1912 Baseball Player Stamps with 4 uncataloged non-sports stamps from the series. best regards

sounds good. the only proof i have is that SGC is slabbing it as a " 1951-52 Brown & Bigelow Cuban League Schedule"

here is a link to the pop report http://67.90.59.68/sgcweb/PlayerDeta...cardsrl=392755

Last edited by bcookie; 12-14-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcookie View Post
sounds good. the only proof i have is that SGC is slabbing it as a " 1951-52 Brown & Bigelow Cuban League Schedule"

here is a link to the pop report http://67.90.59.68/sgcweb/PlayerDeta...cardsrl=392755
Well, I certainly like SGC but my first question is how do they know what year?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Im fairly sure the year is just an estimate (guess), the company made this type of advertising stuff for many years, and still does...

Brown & Bigelow is a publishing company based in Saint Paul, Minnesota that produces advertising specialties, or promotional products, such as clocks, pens, cocktail spoons with corkscrew and cap-lifter, and advertising calendars. The company was founded in 1896.
In the late 1940s, it was one of the biggest calendar printers in the world.
(from Wiki page)
the company still exists today http://www.brownandbigelow.com

baseball collectors usually know the playing cards but they made alot of other things with the same painted baseball images, like blank cards that had advertising printed on back (or team schedules like yours), very similar to the 19th Century tradecards. They also made large calenders, address books, and a few other items with that same Ruth image. there are quite a few different types of images, from boy scouts to vargas girls, etc, most all from that Era are the same style of paintings (many well know artists)

your card would be scarce and would have a slight premium over a common playing card but wouldnt have great value IMO. the playing cards are very common and still often found in unopened decks.

here is an auction that shows a calendar and a Ruth Address Book
http://march11.hugginsandscott.com/c...l?itemid=31088

for a quick look at all the baseball related stuff they made, google images "Brown & Bigelow baseball calendar"
(take out the word "baseball" and you will see all the nudie gals stuff they made )
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

Last edited by fkw; 12-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Ken Wirt

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but doesn't the back of the card have the 1951-52 schedule on it? Wouldn't that fairly certainly mean it was printed that season?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but doesn't the back of the card have the 1951-52 schedule on it? Wouldn't that fairly certainly mean it was printed that season?

correct, that to me would date this 1951
Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default absolutey

Since the schedule is '51-'52 of course it is probably 1951. Everything pretty much stays the same....maybe a small premium, but very limited audience too.