NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Marshall Spikell

Default LAMINATED AUTOGRAPHED GOV. from early 1940,s;WHAT IF ANY VALUE?

Curious if there would be any value for govn. postcards of names such as foxx,ott, and other noteworthy stars that have been laminated..I can,t imagine anyone doing this.I have heard of someone laminating a picture which is crazy in itself.I,m guessing that they might have a value of perhaps 20-25% at the most.Just wondering if anyone has an opinion. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Richard Simon

As a rule of thumb, as a dealer, I never buy laminated items.
If you are very lucky you might find someone to buy them at 15-20% of the market value for unlaminated pieces, but the trick is to find someone who will buy them.
I don't know anyone who will buy them.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Dumb question...

can something that has been laminated be, uh, de-laminated or will that destroy the piece...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
can something that has been laminated be, uh, de-laminated or will that destroy the piece...
probably not if richard says you can't even find people to buy at 15-20% of actual value.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Richard Simon

I have asked a few people and as far as I know you cannot un-laminate a piece.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Most collectors would rather spend the going rate on a piece not laminated.

The exceptions being an extremely rare autograph or a popular expensive autograph like Ruth that someone might pay a lesser amount so they can own one, if the going rate of 2500 or 3000 would have been way out of their price range. They can grab an affordable (laminated) one for 500 bucks and have a Ruth in their collection when they otherwise would have not been able to afford one.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What is the theory behind the price differential, assuming the laminated example is of unquestionable authenticity?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Richard Simon

Collectors just don't like lamination, kinda like how they would hate scotch tape over an autograph.
--
Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
qu@n nguy3n

maybe i'm a noob and my thinking is flawed...but i think i would rather pay 15-20% for a laminated piece than a full price one. it's not like i will touch and feel the signatures often, plus the lamination offers a bit of protection. it's almost on par with a sig inside a PSA/DNA or JSA case.

i don't like scotch tape over sigs...

Last edited by chaddurbin; 01-19-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM

I wouldn't want a laminated piece. But I am surprised more people didn't do this. There are tons of index card collectors. With all the people shellacking their baseballs I'm surprised more people didn't laminate their cards.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I wouldn't want a laminated piece. But I am surprised more people didn't do this. There are tons of index card collectors. With all the people shellacking their baseballs I'm surprised more people didn't laminate their cards.
I think part of the reason is anybody could go to the hardware store and buy a can of shellac, but not everybody had access to a laminating machine.

Scotch Tape = Poor Man's Laminating
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think that laminating is a procedure that requires some equipment. Shellacking a baseball is easy. Putting scotch tape over an autograph is easier still. I have had a number of collections offered to me with scotch tape over all or many of the signatures. Makes me wanna cry. Scotch tape can be removed with a hair dryer but leaves an ugly stain.
I was just offered a Cy Young B&W plak with tape stains vertically running down the right and left sides of the card, virtually from top to bottom. Ugh.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Brandon

Scotch Tape vs Laminate???...How about both together!!! I bought a large collection a few years ago that was from around 1947. Each sheet was laminated and some had tape over them also. I paid very little for them and I know they aren't worth much but I will say the laminate preserves the autographs well My personal opinion is that I would much rather have a laminated auto than one that has been traced over! But yet LOA's are issued with traced over auto's? I had heard that there was a big boom during the 80's where a bunch of people laminated valuable items such as autographs etc. Was also told that the laminate could be removed by a professional but would be costly and not entirely effective...probably not worth it. I mean, what's the difference between having something in a plastic tomb or having it in a plastic permanent sheet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baseball Memorabilia 096.jpg (69.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball Memorabilia 117.jpg (69.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball Memorabilia 103.jpg (71.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball Memorabilia 093.jpg (68.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Looks like that first page has some shellacking too. The trifecta!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Looks like that first page has some shellacking too. The trifecta!
Ha! Yeah this guy went all out to try and preserve the auto's...it's unfortunate but hey they still make for great displays and probably don't have to worry about fading!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Default What's the difference?

Brandon,
In answer to your question:

"I mean, what's the difference between having something in a plastic tomb or having it in a plastic permanent sheet?"

There is one obvious big difference to note. A PSA holder can easily be cracked open by a collector like me that doesn't want to look at the holder, not the signature. If you entomb signatures in a permanent sheet such as the trifecta that you showed, you will never ever get the original signature out of there without all the nasty remnants of the collector's OCD moment.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Brandon,
In answer to your question:

"I mean, what's the difference between having something in a plastic tomb or having it in a plastic permanent sheet?"

There is one obvious big difference to note. A PSA holder can easily be cracked open by a collector like me that doesn't want to look at the holder, not the signature. If you entomb signatures in a permanent sheet such as the trifecta that you showed, you will never ever get the original signature out of there without all the nasty remnants of the collector's OCD moment.
Yes, I totally agree with you Scott...I was just hoping that if I could convince some of you to start laminating your autographs maybe mine would go up in value! Just Kidding. Seriously, I think I paid $50 for the entire lot which included 15 sheets like this all auto'd and laminated. So, although not worth much they are cool and I like 'em and for me that's good enough. When it comes to me paying full price for an auto I would never buy a taped over, traced or laminated or probably even shellacked for that matter.