NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Speaking of 300 game winners...

Posted By: Mark

Any opinion as to the authenticity of these "estate finds" of Old Hoss Radbourn?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5113037373&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5113864911&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Old 08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

They both look pretty good to me. The second one especially looks good. Nice curve to it. First looks like it was pulled from a scrapbook, but shows all the signs of being legit. But I'll defer to the experts for a definative answer.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am not an expert but they are real.......best regards

Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Expert - probably not

The clean Radbourn card has been checked by Savage and is said to be real. It appears that Savage is bidding on a few of that sellers other OJ cards.

The other Radbourn with the scrap book page stuck to the back appears to be real but the seller said don't bid on it if you win it and find out it can't be graded. I believe all sales are final on that one.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Does anyone remember JeffsJunque? Last year they sold over 200+ OJ cards on ebay. The photos of the N172 cards for those cards were taken with a similar background as the Radbourn being sold by "judy6156"

Just an observation. It means nothing but I do remember that brown faux wood grain table in the background of the JeffsJunque cards. Wow, I wish those cards were being put up for grabs again.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

Old 08-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Final price on the Radbourn's:

$724.67 = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5113037373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

$1084.99 = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5113864911&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

Old 08-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Hi all,

I wonder how the closing bidders manage to submit a bit in the last few seconds of an auction. Is there a software program which helps them to do this? If so, how do I get one?

Thank you,
Gil Maines

Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the most widely used program is auctionstealer.com. They also have a couple of other names that I forget off hand. They have a very limited free service that will place a bid between 10-20 seconds left in the auction. If you are looking to drop a bid at the 2 or 3 second point, you will have to pay for that. If you buy a lot, it's a worthwhile service to have.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Julie,

If you read this post can you please post a larger copy of the Radbourn card you posted in this string.

Thank You!

Old 08-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

(as I have been constantly reminded over the last two days) post too many pictures, I can't post a larger one now. Will try again tomorrow evening. Sorry.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Thank you Jay. That is sure to save me time and money. Fantastic!

And Julie: please keep those pictures of cards comin' The '52 Robinson was unbelievable! I have one that I like quite a lot - but now I know what it could look like.

Gil

Old 08-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

Old 08-13-2004, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Ive looked at lots of Robinsons which have been recently available, and although I probably looked in all of the wrong places, the one shown in your scan appears to be the best I have seen.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Administrator

See, there are two variations of the '52 Robinson. Mine has darker skin (the other has a more reddish tint), the right picture line on mine is longer than the left, making a slanted top, and sometimes that line goes OVER the line on the left side, looking messy in a small way.

But, most important, and most often removed!: There should be a small black comma-like thing in the lower right-hand corner of the white border.

When the dealer finished telling me about my card, of course I said, "where's his comma?"

"HOLD THE PHONE!" the dealer said, "I have to send this card back to PSA (it was graded a 7)"

"What will they do with it? I want it! Tell them, they can do whatever they like, but not to destroy it--I want it."

What PSA did was to put as small black "X" in the lower left hand corner, on the back. This supposddly, was to keep the card from ever being graded again.

To make a (very long--the whole business took at least 3 months) long story short, I got a $2000 card for $750--plus a x, marking the spot.

Since then, of course, I have looked carefully at all '52 Robinsons I have seen, and--as you probably have guessed by now, MOST of them with darker skin and the sloape top
have had their commas removed. People think it's a printing error (which it is, in a sense), confind to their card only, and carefully remove it. If the card has the sloape and the darker skin--and is miscut in any way to make the bottom border too narrow, the comma may be naturally missing, or appear only as a speck. But I'll bet there are darned few dark-skinned Robinsons with a sloape top that still have their commas!

SO: Did I get a great deal, or have I got an unsalable card? I can't write the story up for a magazine, because I'd have to leave the dealer's name out. PSA would be none too pleased, either--but since I very rarely deal with them, this wouldn't bother me too much.

What do you think? Weird, huh?

Old 08-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Administrator

What I think is that the visual appeal of a card is the most important factor. I get enjoyment from showing my collection to (collectors and) non-collectors. The non-collector typically can not see the intracacies that an experienced collector is aware of.

To enhance the enjoyment or tolerance of an unsophisticated viewer when looking at my cards, I try to assemble them in groupings which enhance the interestingness of the collection.

I prefer the dark skinned version of both the '52 Robinson and the '53 Paige. Where is your Paige?

I am glad you got the Robinson under $1000.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

to print fewer scans. So I better keep them unprinted. They're both in very nice shape (Ben traded or sold me the '53 Paige--I can't remember). I don't know there were two different skint-toned '53 Paiges--is there any other (consistant) difference between them? Paige of course had much lighter skin than Jackie--who, if ever there was a black man, it was him!

Please let me know if there are other differences between the Paiges. If you have an e-mail address in your sign-in, I'll send you a scan of mine.

It's not PSA graded, so I know PSA won't get on my case for any reason!

Bet you're looking at your '52 Robinson, and trying to figure out if there was ever a comma there! It really was funny; both the dealer and PSA mAde a very big deal out of the missing comma, and I bet 3/4ths at least have it missing!

Old 08-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

(got e-mail address wrong at first, but corrected it.)