NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default that medal I've been tryin to find out about

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

OK....fun stuff today. Its guessing time. Heres a close up of that "Jimmy Sheckard" medal.

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450000294/8.jpg

Looking for ideas. I can't figure out whats in the middle (globe to the left side, but on the right....almost looks like a winged foot)?. The layering in the wings at the top sort of resemble the feather layering on the foot wing (if it is one). The bottom clearly shows a home plate with maybe a foot on it, crossed bats and a ball below. Wondering what everyone else thinks about anything on the medal?

Also...the wording "World's Champions" in quotes with the apostrophe. Is this the wording other medals of the period used? I'm unable to find any pictures of others on the net and hate going through my auction catalog library a page at a time. Does anyone collect these or have any examples? I did find reference to the photogragrapher (Charles Walinger) and he worked in the time frame of 1911-on as a portrait photographer in Chicago.

Open to any suggestions as to how to ID this medal. thanks, Keith

Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I have never seen a medal like this, nor do I collect them, but I seem to recall that a winged foot represents the god Mercury who was the messenger of the gods. Classically it has been taken to represent the idea of speed. Maybe the winged foot represents speed on the basepaths?

Jeff Mohler

Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jeff is correct. The winged foot represents say speed on the ballfield.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

The device inside of the circle, on the right, partially covered by the winged foot appears to be an armless torso with flowing hair.

But I do not see how that interpretation fits the medal theme.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

Actually, the area above the wing appears to be a leg upto the knee. I darkened the photo up a little bit to show this..

Old 11-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

It's not that it's wrong; it's that I've never seen it used in sports stuff.
I mean, they dispense with it. Any other examples anyone can think of?

Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Jeter

a photo of "Happy" Felsch wearing a 1917 Chicago White Sox World Series Pin. Perhaps you could post the scan of the full picture. The 1917 team was associated with a winged ankle (white sock if you will) as well as the giant "S" with the "o" and "x" above and below the curves in the "S." It's just a guess though.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Just thought I'd confuse the issue a little....