NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Default Looking for an Al Bool card

Posted By: leon

A few days ago I got this message below from a person that stumbled onto our board: (I cut the full last name out on purpose as I don't know if they want to be known)......This person is looking for an Al Bool card, who played in the majors in 1928,30,31 according to Baseball-Reference.com, and asked:

"My name is Dave V. and I stumbled upon your site today. About 10 years ago I worked for Mr. George Bool and Mr. Earl Bool, sons of baseball player Albert Bool of Lincoln , Nebraska . In a thread titled "Zeenuts full of writing", someone with the login "brianp-beme" replied on July 22, 2007 and referenced that he had a card of Albert Bool.

I was wondering if there would be a way to be put in contact with "brianp-beme" to see if he would be willing to sell that card. After Albert was done with baseball, he really kept no memorabilia. They have no idea that I have been looking for this, but one of George's grandsons, Noah, is a sports fanatic and wants to be a baseball player like great-grandpa Al. I'd love to get something like this for them to keep in their family.

Long story short, if there were a way to either get my e-mail contact to "brianp-beme" or get me his email or some other form of contact information, I would be greatly appreciative."

I asked them if it would be ok to post on our board and they said yes.....was Brianp-beme Brian Parker? regards.....

Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Thanks to a kind Net54 member I have been alerted to 2 of his cards....and have passed the info on.....You guys and girl(s) are great......kind regards

Old 03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

One last message from the person looking for the card......after I sent him what I got from the Net54 board member...

"That is incredible. I can't thank you enough. I can't access the website from work, but will check it out when I get home tonight. I'll most certainly try to get one, maybe both. It's going to be great giving them to a 75 year old man who lost his father over 26 years ago. Hopefully the grandson can really understand the history of it.

According to George Bool, a lot of Al's baseball contacts remained in touch over the years. Supposedly many used to take fall hunting trips to hunt Nebraska with Al, the most notable I can recall from George's stories was Branch Rickey. I'm hoping to pick his brain some more about it.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how the search goes."

I don't know about ya'll but it always makes me feel good when I try to help folks.....and thanks again to our board member for the email.....if you want to make yourself known that would be great too....but regardless, thanks again.....moderator dude......

Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Poor Al Bool, getting crushed to death by his own tractor. I wouldn't wish such a fate even on my worst enemies. I think Bool was about 77 when the accident occurred. Pretty commendable that a man of such an advanced age was still doing all his own farm work.

"Soup" Campbell (still one of my favorite baseball names) also did farm work well into his 80's. He had a very sizeable dairy farm in Sparta, VA and oversaw the milking of a large number of cows. Sparta is such a small town that collectors used to write Campbell for autographs in care of the town. Same for Sammy Baugh and Whit Wyatt.

Edited to add that Jerry May suffered the same fate as Bool, although he was much younger. By all accounts he was a shy, reserved man, but kind. I believe he had just started a second family (in his 50's) before the unspeakable occurred. May had stopped granting mail requests sometime prior to his death.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Patton

What a hobby; I nearly jumped out of my shoes when I saw this thread!

....I too (for very personal reasons) am in search of an Al Bool card.

Al was a favorite of my late Grandfather -- I'd very much like to track a Bool card down.

I don't want to undercut the kind individual looking to provide examples for Al's family; It is wonderful the family could acquire these cards.

However, if anyone else would be willing to part with one (or merely provide a scan of one/info on what issues he appears in), I'd be beyond appreciative.

Best,

Old 03-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

The 2 cards I was informed about have previously been sold as I just called about them. I guess 'ole Bool is a card that is in demand....I would have never guessed it....kindest regards and good luck in the hunt.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

As a person who collects cards of those who hail from the Cornhusker state I too am looking for Al Bool, but will bide my time so as the fellow who would like to get one to his family can get one first.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zeenut

Here is one of my Bool Zeenuts, I know I have both of his cards but I'll check to see if I have any duplicates. If this is even the same Bool you are looking for.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

according to my player checklist there are 3 different Al Bool cards...

Bool, Albert J. (Al)
•1926 Zeenuts
•1927 Zeenuts
•1928 Zeenuts

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator

You are correct there are 3 different cards.. I have his 1927 and 1928. I can scan the other card tonight if anyone is intersted.

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\pirate.jpg

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Rhett & Matt...thank you for your contributions to this thread; definately filled some holes.

Matt, yes....I would very much like to see scans of the other (2) issues, if you wouldnt mind.

...and

A public thank you to Leon, for putting me in touch with (potentially) a couple Zeenuts.

Since first finding the Board, my knowledge has grown exponentially. The Net54 community is incredible.

Thank you, Leon...for your legwork. I owe you a frothy adult beverage.

Best,

Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Here is his 1928, I do not have a 1926.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator

...thanks, Matt. Great image.