NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default Egyptienne Straights Cigarettes

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

On page 142 in Alan Hagar's Comprehensive Price Guide to Rare Baseball cards 1886 to Present, it shows an Egyptienne Straights Cigarettes box. Can someone tell me what came in these boxes? I picked one up today cheap.

I would trust Alan Hagar before I trusted Dick Giddings!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

cigarettes...

Thanks, you've been a great audience. Enjoy Molly Hatchet.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The only item with that brand I know of is the B-18.

Ive always heard they were folded twice and attached to the outside of the package with a seal/tape piece.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

If only cigarettes aged like wine, I'd have enough to get more T206's.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ROBERT ADAMS JR

I always found it amazing that something as substantial as a B-18 Blanket was actually sent along with a pack . Seems more like a send in and receive item .

Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ROBERT ADAMS JR

Boxingcardman , I really enjoyed Molly Hatchet when they opened for Bob Seger in "79" ! Do not get better then that !

Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

liked to promote Eqyptian (also Turkish, oriental, etc.) fine and exotic tobacco strains. A few of these products included card and silk series in or around their packs/boxes. Egyptienne Luxury, Melachrino, Schinasi, Zira, Eqyptian Prettiest, Mogul, Omega, and finally Egyptienne Straights (I'm sure there are others - all I could think of) come to mind. The Eqyptienne Straights are indeed the source of the blankets. I came across a drawer full early in my collecting days in an antique shop somewhere in Mass.. The blankets were still attached to the package in the manner previously described. Unfortunately I had little interest then - would LOVE to have one now. The only other tobacco insert/premium I know of associated with ES cigarettes is their T45 non-sport card set. There are still sufficient quantities to be had of the medium sized clam shell box in the marketplace. Certainly an under 50. box empty.

edited to add the following: TY! for prompting me to take Hager's book off the shelf for a look again. Reading the musing and forcasts of my favorite shady dylsxeic Nostradamus always makes me smile

PS: ES also issued small cigarette "silks" during this time frame....

Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Richard,

1- fkw's post shows Mr. Lipset's encyclopedia entry about the B-18s. He's dead on with that.

2- Somewhere in the archives here is a thread on B-18s, I posted a scan of a B-18 with a piece of that paper tape still attached.

3- That price guide of Alan Hagar's is one dangerous book. A fellow could open it, study it a while, and come away knowing fewer right things and more wrong things than when he started. I'd suggest dealing with it as I do listening to Rush Limbaugh... if I don't know how I feel about a certain issue, I listen to Rush talk about it, then I know I feel the other way.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator

I only bought the Alan Hagar book because of the info on tobacco boxes. Alan Hagar was a crook, and he ranks up there with Dick Giddings. Alan Hagar autographed my book, and the value has remained the same. Worth nothing.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That is reassuring good news, Richard. Sounds to me you'll be safe looking in that book, since you know what it is.

For some unknowing folk, opening that book is like a step into a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. A dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. A middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition. One that lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. A dimension of imagination. The Twilight Zone.