NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default Perspective thread...it's not about the money.

This forum is loaded with incredible people with so much knowledge it's unbelievable. As a card collector why wouldn't anyone want to hang out here.
I think Leon said there is something like 200 new members a month here, those are good numbers. I recently spoke to a couple of members who felt intimidated about posting. Now I haven't been around here long but I've been around a long time. So here goes...

It's not about the money, it's about your passion for what you're collecting.

There's guys here who could buy and sell any card at any price, it's a lot of fun to watch them play in their environment but they're no different than any other folks here.

What's important is your story. You might have 5 kids and a wife bitching at you about "we need more formula!" while you're squirreling away $25 a month to buy a 71T Ryan. What I care about is your journey to get that card, your decision about color, centering, registration, price, etc...

It's not about the money, it never has been, it's about your card and why it's your card.

Tell your story, that's always been more interesting than a piece of old cardboard.

Last edited by Casey2296; 11-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Right on Phil. I know there are a lot of members who will never post their recent pick ups because they aren't "worthy". Who gives a f*ck if they are "worthy" guys, just show off your stuff. Be proud to have picked up a new card. Or jump in on a thread if you have a comment. This place is for all collectors of prewar and vintage cards. Here's a beauty for y'all. And my only Mathewson that I am so happy to have picked up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg e90-1 Marquard.jpg (8.8 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg E93 Mathewson small.jpg (53.9 KB, 298 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Great post!

Having been here for quite a while and would consider myself a regular poster - there is a VERY broad range of collectors here from many walks of life, education, occupation and financial means. The OP said it best - it's about sharing YOUR passion and YOUR stories and YOUR cards!

Howard Chasser

Ps. One of the funniest lines I read here - "I have to sell my cards before I die or my wife will sell them for what I told her I paid for them!"
Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you are feeling intimated by the card 'masters' here, by the monied collectors, don't be. We are all unhip, tragically uncool grown-ass men playing with toys, and we all need to:

William Shatner: You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just baseball cards! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little hobby into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME!

[ a crowd of shocked and dismayed collectors.... ]

I mean, how old are you people? What have you done with yourselves?

[ to "collector" ] You, you must be almost 60... have you ever kissed a girl?

[ "collector" hangs his head ]

I didn't think so! There's a whole world out there! When I was your age, I didn't collect cards and do nothing else, I LIVED! So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-01-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Patrick

Well if we are sharing, I'd bet I'm one of the younger members of this forum at 23 but have been collecting vintage cards since I was a kid. I got introduced as a kid at the Chantilly show and went several times a year with my dad. Now I mostly collect 50's Topps and Bowman sets. Most of the stuff I get is lower grade due to a combination of cost (recent college grad just starting out, y'all know how it is) and choice, because I think cards that show a bit of wear tell a story unique to their perfect counterparts. As the OP said, I think this board and the Harmon's card group on Facebook, allow for collectors from all different walks of life to be able to share their passion. Cards have never been about the money for me but I still think it's cool when I get a high dollar card that I can show off haha.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Right on Phil. I know there are a lot of members who will never post their recent pick ups because they aren't "worthy". Who gives a f*ck if they are "worthy" guys, just show off your stuff. Be proud to have picked up a new card. Or jump in on a thread if you have a comment. This place is for all collectors of prewar and vintage cards. Here's a beauty for y'all. And my only Mathewson that I am so happy to have picked up.

My favorite reads are the pick-up threads. Although I like the high $$$ buys, the ones that I smile and laugh at are the commons, and I think - who the hell is that ballplayer? Or the ebay bucks buys, when someone purchases a Kellogg's 3D card. It makes me feel good that there are lots of other people just like me on this board. My only Mathewson is a t202 end piece!....and the picture is sideways!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201101_212354.jpg (71.1 KB, 227 views)
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 11-01-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
This forum is loaded with incredible people with so much knowledge it's unbelievable. As a card collector why wouldn't anyone want to hang out here.
I think Leon said there is something like 200 new members a month here, those are good numbers. I recently spoke to a couple of members who felt intimidated about posting. Now I haven't been around here long but I've been around a long time. So here goes...

There's guys here who could buy and sell any card at any price, it's a lot of fun to watch them play in their environment but they're no different than any other folks here.

What's important is your story. You might have 5 kids and a wife bitching at you about "we need more formula!" while you're squirreling away $25 a month to buy a 71T Ryan. What I care about is your journey to get that card, your decision about color, centering, registration, price, etc...

It's not about the money, it never has been, it's about your card and why it's your card.

Tell your story, that's always been more interesting than a piece of old cardboard.
Very well said Phil. I agree 1000% - thanks for starting the thread. And as an aside, you have been a heck of an asset since joining the gang only a few months ago. Keep posting!
Old 11-02-2020, 05:59 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

It's interesting when you realize that many of us are so much alike in one way but completely the opposite in another way. But I think we can all agree that we all have a similar goal but the journey will be unique to each of us. It's really quite amazing how large and diverse our group is, with new collectors that never owned a card in their life, to the group of collectors that were in the front lines of the junk wax era, lost interest, life started and you found a wife, a house and kids, and then something happens and reopens the door to a past hobby. Then you have people like me, that never got out of it completely but maybe switched up my collecting focus and goals. But we all made it here, one way or another, and we all have something to share at some point. Either a new purchase, looking for advise or help, or my personal favorite, sharing theories of unknown processes and certain cards, with reasons why they should exist. There's always something for everyone here. You just have to take a few minutes and look around until something catches your attention.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 11-02-2020, 06:58 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

I agree 100%. I will freely admit as a younger collector, seeing some posts of people on here, who've been collecting for 30, 40, 50 years can be a little daunting at time. Especially with some of the pickups, I never get discouraged though. We all collect at our own pace, just like we all go through life at our own pace.

Are there times where I wished I grew up maybe 20 or 30 years before I actually did because It would've made collecting much easier? Of course there is! It's a funny little game to play. I'm just glad we all found our way to this wonderful board. Collecting brings so many people together, old and young.

I've grown very fond of here, whether it be seeing new pickups, learning about someones journey or just being able to talk about cards. I've spoken to some very nice people as well, who have offered guidance or who are always quick to say "Please reach out if you have questions." I look forward to checking the new posts on a day to day basis. It's a good time. I'm looking forward to many more years ahead of doing this.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.