NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-30-2023, 10:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Best team with no HOFers or HOF caliber players?

I don't have the answer in mind. Second part is to take steroid exclusions out of the analysis. Also, players not yet eligible. Not exactly sure when Sutton left the Dodgers but maybe one of the post-Sutton teams?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-30-2023 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The 1884 Maroons come to mind first.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:27 AM
Charles Jackson

The Giants sort of had a dynasty in the early 2010s winning World Series in 2010, 2012, and 2014. Their best players were probably Madison Bumgarner, Buster Posey, Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito. All fine players, but I don't see any of them getting into the HOF any time soon.

Also, the Kansas City Royals won the Word Series in 2015 in 5 games and lost it in 7 games the year before and their best players were probably Salvador Perez, Alex Gordon, Erik Hosmer, Alex Rios and Ben Zobrist. Unlike the Giants from a few years earlier, they had few to no pitching stars, unless you consider Lorenzo Cain, Edison Volquez, or their closer Greg Holland to be stars.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-31-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:10 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
The Giants sort of had a dynasty in the early 2010s winning World Series in 2010, 2012, and 2014. Their best players were probably Madison Bumgarner, Buster Posey, Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito. All fine players, but I don't see any of them getting into the HOF any time soon.

Also, the Kansas City Royals won the Word Series in 2015 in 5 games and lost it in 7 games the year before and their best players were probably Salvador Perez, Alex Gordon, Erik Hosmer, Alex Rios and Ben Zobrist. Unlike the Giants from a few years earlier, they had few to no pitching stars, unless you consider Lorenzo Cain, Edison Volquez, or their closer Greg Holland to be stars.
Good call on both teams.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-31-2023, 04:47 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

really like your pick with the Giants.

Those players just all spiked with career bests during those years at the same time. And then some faded away while others had some respectable to strong careers

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-31-2023, 07:12 AM

The 2008 Rays had nobody and they managed to win 97 games in the AL East. Lost to the Phillies in the series but their best players were Carlos Pena, Evan Longoria and Carl Crawford.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:37 AM
J@mes In.gram

1962 angels, 86 - 76, 3rd in AL. They had nobody.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 07-31-2023, 08:35 AM
John

I am not a Giants fan and I am not saying Buster Posey is a shoe-in HoFer...but he was NL Rookie of the Year and a NL MVP...he was a World Series Champ 3 times in his first 5 full seasons...he was a catcher with a lifetime batting average above .300 and he even won a NL batting title...even though his career was not lengthy (less than 1,400 games), his WAR (yes, I know...what is it good for) is the 7th best All-Time as a catcher and better than many catchers that are in the Hall with longer careers...if anybody from those Giants teams from 2010-2014 is deserving it is Posey.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2023, 09:00 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
I am not a Giants fan and I am not saying Buster Posey is a shoe-in HoFer...but he was NL Rookie of the Year and a NL MVP...he was a World Series Champ 3 times in his first 5 full seasons...he was a catcher with a lifetime batting average above .300 and he even won a NL batting title...even though his career was not lengthy (less than 1,400 games), his WAR (yes, I know...what is it good for) is the 7th best All-Time as a catcher and better than many catchers that are in the Hall with longer careers...if anybody from those Giants teams from 2010-2014 is deserving it is Posey.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Question: What WAR numbers are you looking at? I am looking at career WAR numbers for catchers, and Posey ranks 16th, just behind Wally Schang, Gene Tenace, and Thurman Munson. That being said, any of those guys could get in some day, but I think Munson may have the best shot, do to his untimely death.

Posey and Munson have similar credentials. Both were 7x All Stars, both won Rookie of the year, both won MVP. Posey won 3 World Series, to Munsey's 2. Munsey was probably the better fielder, and won 3 Gold Gloves, to Posey's 1.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:26 AM
Dave

Quote:
Question: What WAR numbers are you looking at? I am looking at career WAR numbers for catchers, and Posey ranks 16th, just behind Wally Schang, Gene Tenace, and Thurman Munson. That being said, any of those guys could get in some day, but I think Munson may have the best shot, do to his untimely death.

Posey and Munson have similar credentials. Both were 7x All Stars, both won Rookie of the year, both won MVP. Posey won 3 World Series, to Munsey's 2. Munsey was probably the better fielder, and won 3 Gold Gloves, to Posey's 1.

Maybe he was looking at best 7 years stretch, in which Posey ranks comfortably above the HOF catchers average in WAR.

Munson's a good comparison, who also does well in the prime years ratings. Minus a couple MVP's, Campanella's MLB career could also be argued to be a decent comparison to Posey.

Even with 3 MVP's and a strong Negro League background, it took Campanella at least 5 tries to get into the HOF.

Catching is tough!

My first instinct was that Posey was a no-brainer for the HOF. Might not be as cut and dry as I thought, re-looking back at his total career stats.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:33 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Maybe he was looking at best 7 years stretch, in which Posey ranks comfortably above the HOF catchers average in WAR.

Munson's a good comparison, who also does well in the prime years ratings. Minus a couple MVP's, Campanella's MLB career could also be argued to be a decent comparison to Posey.

Even with 3 MVP's and a strong Negro League background, it took Campanella at least 5 tries to get into the HOF.

Catching is tough!

My first instinct was that Posey was a no-brainer for the HOF. Might not be as cut and dry as I thought, re-looking back at his total career stats.
Posey ranks 10th in WAR7. Munson 8th.

I see them both getting in.....Eventually

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-31-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

IMO Posey is a clear HOFer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:03 AM

I think Posey is a lock for the HOF as well and I don't see a lot of similarities between his career and Munson's. Posey won a batting title, which is very unusual for a catcher. I can't think of an unusual aspect of Munson's game or anything that would separate him from another borderline catcher. Posey also went out on his own terms with a monster final season. His OPS+ is significantly higher than Munson's and even their prime OPS+ numbers put Posey significantly ahead in terms of production in any single season.

Last edited by packs; 07-31-2023 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:44 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think Posey is a lock for the HOF as well and I don't see a lot of similarities between his career and Munson's. Posey won a batting title, which is very unusual for a catcher. I can't think of an unusual aspect of Munson's game or anything that would separate him from another borderline catcher. Posey also went out on his own terms with a monster final season. His OPS+ is significantly higher than Munson's and even their prime OPS+ numbers put Posey significantly ahead in terms of production in any single season.
So you don't see any similarities between two catchers that both won Rookie of the Year, both won MVP, both were 7x All Stars, both won multiple World Series, and both won Gold Gloves?

As far as peak goes, Munson's WAR 7 is higher than Posey's.

Last, Posey played 229 games at first base, so he needed to be a better hitter than Munson to be a fair comparison.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
So you don't see any similarities between two catchers that both won Rookie of the Year, both won MVP, both were 7x All Stars, both won multiple World Series, and both won Gold Gloves?

As far as peak goes, Munson's WAR 7 is higher than Posey's.

Last, Posey played 229 games at first base, so he needed to be a better hitter than Munson to be a fair comparison.
No, I don't see any comparison. Munson was not the player Posey was, for several reasons:

Posey was a 300 hitter for his career. Munson was not. This is an important stat for catchers as they are rarely 300 hitters.

Posey won a batting title. Another rarity for catchers.

Posey has a career OPS+ of 129 compared to Munson's 116.

Munson's prime wasn't all that special either. The year he won MVP his OPS+ was 126, below Posey's career average. Posey's OPS+ during his MVP season was 171 and led the league.

Again, Posey was doing special things and Munson was not.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:04 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
No, I don't see any comparison. Munson was not the player Posey was, for several reasons:

Posey was a 300 hitter for his career. Munson was not. This is an important stat for catchers as they are rarely 300 hitters.

Posey won a batting title. Another rarity for catchers.

Posey has a career OPS+ of 129 compared to Munson's 116.

Munson's prime wasn't all that special either. The year he won MVP his OPS+ was 126, below Posey's career average. Posey's OPS+ during his MVP season was 171 and led the league.

Again, Posey was doing special things and Munson was not.
So you aren't even going to acknowledge that Posey played a season as a half as a first baseman?
Old 07-31-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
So you aren't even going to acknowledge that Posey played a season as a half as a first baseman?
How does it factor into anything? I'm not going to mention Munson's untimely death either.

Looks like Munson appeared as a DH 77 times and had another 50 plus appearances in the outfield himself. Not sure it matters, does it?

Last edited by packs; 07-31-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:08 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
How does it factor into anything? I'm not going to mention Munson's untimely death either.
Is this a serious question? Frist base is arguably the easiest fielding position.
So people that play First Base are generally players that hit well and field poorly. If you don't hit extremely well, then you probably can't make an MLB roster as a first baseman.

An above average hitting catcher is way more valuable to a team than 1st baseman that only hits slightly better. This is the exact reason why Munson's WAR and WAR7 are higher than Posey's. That and Munson was arguably a better fielder. Fielding matters as a catcher. Munson lead the League in throwing out runners twice. Posey never did.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-31-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Is this a serious question? Frist base is arguably the easiest fielding position.
So people that play First Base are generally players that hit well and field poorly. If you don't hit extremely well, then you probably can't make an MLB roster as a first baseman.

An above average catcher is way more valuable to a team than 1st baseman that only hits slightly better. This is the exact reason why Munson's WAR and WAR7 are higher than Posey's. That and Munson was arguably a better fielder. Fielding matters as a catcher. Munson lead the League in throwing out runners twice. Posey never did.
What's wrong with resting players? On the days Posey played first, isn't it reasonable for a team to still want him in the line up and be interested in resting his knees? He wasn't in the universal DH era.

I guess you didn't see my edit above that included Munson appearing as a DH 77 times and an outfielder over 50 times himself.

Last edited by packs; 07-31-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

As the OP I don't accept the Giants answer LOL. Any other candidates?

Old 07-31-2023, 11:24 AM

The only MLB catcher in the HOF with a higher OPS+ than Posey is Mike Piazza. Mickey Cochrane is also at 129. Posey is going in easy, probably a 1st ballot HOFer.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As the OP I don't accept the Giants answer LOL. Any other candidates?
The 2002 Angels are the champion most likely to never have a HOFer.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:30 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
What's wrong with resting players? On the days Posey played first, isn't it reasonable for a team to still want him in the line up and be interested in resting his knees?

I guess you didn't see my edit above that included Munson appearing as a DH 77 times and an outfielder over 50 times himself.
Posey had 838 plate appearances at 1B, 133 as DH and 66 as PH

Munson had 19 plate appearances at 1B, 336 as DH and 64 as PH. Munson also had played appearances at RF (92), LF (14), and 3B (3). In other words, Munson was more versatile than Posey.

I am not saying Posey doesn't belong in the HOF. I am saying that it might be a bitter pill to swallow if Posey made it in before Munson.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:31 AM

Well prepare yourself because he's almost certainly a first ballot HOFer and Munson is unlikely to see another vote.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:36 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Observation from casual fan - I assumed Posey was first ballot and had sick numbers. That was the feeling I got from watching the Giants in those every other year championships. He seemed to be the guy keeping it together and getting big hits (from the catcher position) all the darn time. When I just looked at his numbers was surprised to see that a legit argument could be made to keep him out. I’d certainly vote him in but not as slam dunk as I would have thought.
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post

AGREED! Though David Eckstein is one of my all-time favorites.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Charles Jackson

Quote:
The only MLB catcher in the HOF with a higher OPS+ than Posey is Mike Piazza. Mickey Cochrane is also at 129. Posey is going in easy, probably a 1st ballot HOFer.
Well, if every catcher decided to hang up their cleats at age 34, there might be some others with a higher OPS+ than Posey. Berra comes to mind.

Posey didn't even reach 5,000 at bats in his career. More than 50 other catchers did.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:38 AM

Speaking of possible HOF catchers:
(Peter- please excuse this hijack of your thread)

How would you rank Posey, Mauer & Molina?

Would they all get in? None?

Make your arguments.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-31-2023 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

One interesting Posey tidbit, if my memory of the game is right, in Bumgarner's astonishing long relief stint to win the WS, he did not shake off Posey's signs even once.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:41 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
(Charles- please excuse this hijack of your thread)

Make your arguments.
I was wondering the same question.

I would go 1) Mauer with Posey closely behind. Molina is 3rd. He just wasn't a great hitter.

(Sorry I've posted so much in Peter's thread)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-31-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Kirk Gibson Dodgers?

Old 07-31-2023, 12:05 PM

The 2005 White Sox were pretty bland too. they had Konerko and Dye but no one is going to remember them unless you were from Chicago. With a pitching staff anchored by Buehrle and Jon Garland and Dustin Hermanson closing for you. Oof.

Wow an examining the line up a little further shows that only 3 of the starting 9 had an OPS+ over 100 that year. Pretty hard to believe they were champs.

They did have Big Frank but he only appeared in 34 games and didn't appear in the postseason.

Last edited by packs; 07-31-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:16 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Kirk Gibson Dodgers?
I believe '88 was Don Sutton's final year.

What about the 2016 Cubs? They won 103 games and the World Series.

Their best players were Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez, Ben Zobrist and a young Kyle Schwarber.

Pitchers were Jon Lester, Jake Arrieta, John Lackey, Kyle Hendricks.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
One interesting Posey tidbit, if my memory of the game is right, in Bumgarner's astonishing long relief stint to win the WS, he did not shake off Posey's signs even once.

'Back in the day':

230561051_4392760647436946_5887349237295606830_n.jpg

Old 07-31-2023, 12:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

A couple of the early 70s Yankee teams were pretty good but no HOFers I don't think.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
A couple of the early 70s Yankee teams were pretty good but no HOFers I don't think.
Yanks never won in the early 70s, but did in '77 and '78 with Reggie Jackson and Catfish Hunter. They had Gossage in '78, but not '77.

Not to mention the borderline guys like Nettles, Randolph, Munson and Guidry.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yanks never won in the early 70s, but did in '77 and '78 with Reggie Jackson and Catfish Hunter. They had Gossage in '78, but not '77.

Not to mention the borderline guys like Nettles, Randolph, Munson and Guidry.
1970 team won 93 games, that's not bad.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
(Peter- please excuse this hijack of your thread)

Make your arguments.
I think they all make it. I would adopt your order, although on a different team Mauer might have enjoyed more accolades.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:22 PM
Tim Odeen

Is there a HOF player on the 1997 Florida Marlins? Gary Sheffield (60 WAR) and Kevin Brown (67 WAR) come to mind as the best players.

And not yet enshrined, the 2004 Florida Marlins I think are also without a HOF. Waiting for Miguel Cabrera (67 WAR), though. but technically it still counts.

Not my card. But I remember he was one of the hot cards to chase in 2002, especially in Topps 206. My order is 1) Mauer, 2) Posey, and 3) Molina....I can't stand him.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 07-31-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you read my question, I am excluding players who would be in but for steroids (Sheffield) and who aren't eligible yet but obviously are in (Cabrera).

Kevin Brown is an interesting player, his stats seem much better than his acclaim.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-31-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:53 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
If you read my question, I am excluding players who would be in but for steroids (Sheffield) and who aren't eligible yet but obviously are in (Cabrera).

Kevin Brown is an interesting player, his stats seem much better than his acclaim.
Kevin Brown has also been linked to steroids:
https://www.thesportster.com/basebal...#8-kevin-brown
Old 07-31-2023, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Kevin Brown has also been linked to steroids:
https://www.thesportster.com/basebal...#8-kevin-brown
Yeah but it's not like he would have been voted in otherwise, IMO. He never got much love.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

1993 Phillies won the pennant with no HOFers although Schilling.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:04 PM
Jay Shumsky

2008 and 2009 Phillies won and lost the World Series with no definite HoFers. Utley and Rollins are borderline with Utley probably with a better chance than Rollins.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:22 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
2008 and 2009 Phillies won and lost the World Series with no definite HoFers. Utley and Rollins are borderline with Utley probably with a better chance than Rollins.
It's interesting (to me at least) how close Utley, Whitaker and Grich's stats are.

All 3 had career batting averages between .266 (Grich) and .276 (Whitaker)

Their career HRs range from 224 (Grich) to 259 (Utley)

Whitaker and Utley had an OPS+ of 117, with Grich a little higher at 125.

They were All-Stars 5x (Whitaker) or 6x (Grich and Utley)

They all won 1 World Series each.

Their WARs range from 64.5 (Utley) to Whitaker (75.1).

I think Utley eventually gets in, but he should at least have to wait for Whitaker.

Grich is about as borderline as they come, despite a WAR over 70.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:40 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
It's interesting (to me at least) how close Utley, Whitaker and Grich's stats are.

All 3 had career batting averages between .266 (Grich) and .276 (Whitaker)

Their career HRs range from 224 (Grich) to 259 (Utley)

Whitaker and Utley had an OPS+ of 117, with Grich a little higher at 125.

They were All-Stars 5x (Whitaker) or 6x (Grich and Utley)

They all won 1 World Series each.

Their WARs range from 64.5 (Utley) to Whitaker (75.1).

I think Utley eventually gets in, but he should at least have to wait for Whitaker.

Grich is about as borderline as they come, despite a WAR over 70.
I never compared their stats before but they are all pretty close as you indicated. As a Phillies fan I would be happy to see Utley get in, but injuries may have cost him even with the 5-6 year peak that he had.

Whitaker and Grich were both one and done on HoF ballots. I would think Utley gets over 5% on his first ballot this year but it will be interesting to see how much above 5%.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

1981 Dodgers?

Old 07-31-2023, 07:51 PM
Sean McGinty

1985 Blue Jays. Second best record in MLB, (99-62), AL east champions. They had some "Hall of Very Gooders", but nobody on the roster even came close to Cooperstown.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:54 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
1981 Dodgers?
I was thinking about them, but its hard to say how dominant they really were, due the '81 strike. Their record was 63-47 for 2nd best in the NL West.

And they eeked by in both their Divisional and NL Championship Series with 3-2 series wins.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-31-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
If Jeff Kent isn't making it, I'm just not seeing Utley, technical stats or not.