NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Default OT: Braun wins appeal.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/76...ame-suspension
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Wow. So is Braun insinuating that the test collector tampered with his sample? Seems like the only plausible deniability he could have with a positive test for a synthetic steroid.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Joe M.

Sounds like he got off basically on a technicality.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

This is wrong. He is completely guilty. This is why I hate lawyers (w/ those on net54 excepted of course).
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM

It rubs me the wrong way on so many levels. Braun is going to be a hundred millionaire by the time his contract is up. Now he's trying to insinuate a test collector who probably has a family and makes less in a year than Braun does in a game tampered with his sample. This collector will likely be fired. It's obvious MLB knows who he is. If Braun's not trying to insinuate that, then why bring up the collection process? A synthetic steroid was found in the sample. That should be all anyone focuses on. I think its disturbing that Braun would hint that he's a "victim."

Last edited by packs; 02-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM
keith janosky

another sports star gets off with a slap on the wrist. makes me sick. bonds, clemens, sosa, palmerio to name a few. selig probably was watching this real close since braun plays for the brewers.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Wonder what his stats will be this season...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Really who even cares anymore. Anyone that still wants to do it, does it. There is only one solution, MLB should allow the use of all performance enhancing drugs that are criminally legal. If they want to harm themselves so be it. This has once again made a mockery of the game. Bottom line is he took performance enhancing drugs.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
J.O.N

I wish the Pirates would start taking something.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Marc S.

If the sample did sit, you must acquit!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Fred

I didnt read the article but I have to think this was a commissioners decision. If so, this makes that idiot commissioner look even less like a true commissioner. Let me see, didn't Selig used to own the Brewers? Nope, no favoritism there.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM
T0m P00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I didnt read the article but I have to think this was a commissioners decision. If so, this makes that idiot commissioner look even less like a true commissioner. Let me see, didn't Selig used to own the Brewers? Nope, no favoritism there.
I think you should read this:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/76...ame-suspension
Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Honestly, this outcome doesn't really do anything for his reputation...Good or Bad...If he did it, he did it. If not, then he didn't. This decision doesn't answer any of that.. Yes, he won the appeal. Sure, by a technicality. But taking full advantage of that technicality was probably the easiest way for Braun and his lawyers to get him off the hook. It doesn't necessarily mean that he did anything, nor does it mean that he didn't. All it means is that this was the easiest road to travel in his appeal.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
David G

Default Agree

The true shame of the whole thing is - we never should have even heard anything about it. It is supposed to be confidential. Innocent or guilty he reputation has been harmed.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Frank Wakefield

Oddly, for me, I find myself generally agreeing with most of what's been posted, with the exception of one post. Contrarian me is in general agreement....

But Oh, that one post. Thank you Jon Fowler. While I'm not a fan of the Pirates (preferring the Cardinals for 49 years), that is one fine post you've made. I will laugh out loud about it for days, whenever I think of it. Those of us who are fans bow to you, one dedicated Bucs fan. I'm in absolute agreement, and in awe of that!!!!

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-23-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Bs argument by braun and bs judgement. There was no break in chain of custody. The collector followed correct protocol
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Fred

I read the article. Sadly, I used to think Braun was a great player in the making, now I think he's just one of those A-hole PED abusers that found a loophole. What a great role model. Just what every kid should aspire to be, someone that has enough money to have a crew of people figure out a way for him to get away with something.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Tim

Default Funny...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I wish the Pirates would start taking something.
Thanks.........I needed a laugh!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here's what I don't understand: "A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that, after being informed of the positive result, Braun asked to have another urine test taken, and that the second test was within normal range."

Perhaps any MDs here can weigh in: how fast does this stuff leave the system? Braun claims he had three clean tests the same season and apparently demanded another test that was clean when he found out about the positive test.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Todd Schultz

Default I thought the same thing

Adam, this is from an SI online article last December:

Quote:
According to drug testing experts, though, passing a subsequent test is not, in and of itself, a valid defense and actually fits the pattern of some previous doping cases. US Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart has no specific knowledge of the Braun case, but says that a testosterone level that goes from normal, to high, to normal is typical of someone on a steroid cycle. "After a person stops using, the T:E ratio" -- that's the testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio, which is 1:1 in most people, and above 4:1 in positive tests -- "goes back down to normal levels, and that could be in a matter of days or hours. It depends on how much they used, how long they've been using, and their own individual metabolism." Research done by German scientists showed that one particular drug boosted a patient's T:E ratio above 80:1 before it dropped back to normal only 12 hours later.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1nJ7lA1hB
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

What a joke.... Not to mention the bull**** that this is going to cause with future players trying to do the same damn thing.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 AM

The reason why scientists and labs have multiple tests, is there can be errors in a test. Perhaps cause by error in testing-- not to suggest that is the only possible reason. Clearly two tests with distinctly different readings should make people ponder-- and helps why it's important to have two tests.

Of course, some may speculate that if there are two tests-- one positive and one negative, perhaps it's the negative that is incorrect.

Last edited by drc; 02-24-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM
JB

Default ..........

Guilty or not, i would sat damage to his name and reputation have been done and will shadow him for the rest of his carrer.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Matt

Default As for the Buccos

Being a Pirates fan for the last 42 years, I think they HAVE been taking some substances the last 19 years. Unfortunately, given the skinflint tendencies of the owners, they've been popping Flintstones chewables.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Steve Birmingham

That info Todd quoted from SI is important. I haven't seen that before.

Back to normal after 12 hours is interesting, almost as interesting as the 4:1 vs normal at 1:1 ratio. They seem to allow a bit of room for things being slightly off.

It also makes the other clean tests meaningless.

Does the MLB program do a multiple test like other sports? Usually there's an A sample and a B sample. If the A test is positive they then redo the test with the B sample (And hopefully different personnel or an entirely different lab) If they're contradictory it's announced but not punished. If both come back positve there's a suspension and some explaining to be done.

A proper explanation will remove the suspension.

For example a cyclist in the world championships eats a poppy seed bagel. Which causes a positive test for opiates. With a reciept and an "I didn't realize" excuse he wouldn't typically be suspended. Without the reciept or witnesses or if it's not the first time there'd be punishment.

Their tolerance levels I think are much lower.

Steve B
Old 02-25-2012, 09:32 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Just read an article on the Indians website, and I think Shelly Duncan may have summed this whole mess up the best of anyone.

"You either have a guy who got away with using a performance-enhancing drug, or you completely corrupted an innocent man's name. It's one or the other, and either one is a complete and utter fail."

"It's an example right now, of why every single time anybody takes a drug test, why it gives us justification to be scared to death. You have the credibility of your life on the line. No one knows except Ryan Braun what happened, and it's not fair for me to have ill feelings towards Ryan Braun if he's completely clean."