NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should Pete Rose be allowed on the HOF ballot?
YES 217 54.80%
NO 179 45.20%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM
D0NN1E B

Default Pete Rose Poll

This is one of the most informed baseball communities that I know, so I am curious as to where members stand on Rose. Should he be allowed on the HOF ballot?

Last edited by Mountaineer1999; 12-16-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 12-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Damn right.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:08 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default No

Clearly a hall of famer between the lines. Outside the lines not so much. He knew the rules and the punishment but chose to break them anyway. And then lied about it repeatedly for years.

Taken as a whole I'm ok with Pete not bein admitted. His accomplishments are recognized. That is enough from my perspective.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Archive

Pete performed his job as a player well and 50% of me says yes.

The other 50% says no because given the type of human being he is, after getting into the Hall, his smugness will be sickening.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Ken McMillan

He should be in the Hall of Fame based on his career as a player. One of the best if not the best in his era. Now if you were judging him on his career as an manager and the fact that he bet on his team, then as a manager he should not be considered. He never bet on his team to lose is my understanding and always bet on his team to win. The job of a manager is to get wins for his team, not losses but betting on baseball when you manage is a huge no no.

With that said, he was never accused of betting on baseball when he was a player so consideration for the Hall as a player should be allowed.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Clearly a hall of famer between the lines. Outside the lines not so much. He knew the rules and the punishment but chose to break them anyway. And then lied about it repeatedly for years.

Taken as a whole I'm ok with Pete not bein admitted. His accomplishments are recognized. That is enough from my perspective.
+1
Old 12-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
He should be in the Hall of Fame based on his career as a player.
+1
Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Betting on his team to win, not lose, is irrelevant. That means not betting to win is information; plus you would use/rest players based on your wagers.

"I'll use my closer once more on short rest knowing he will be useless for a week, but I have money on today's game."

"Can't bet to win today, my star player is banged up."

"I'll rest him today so he's fresh tomorrow when I'll place a big wager.

Etc. Etc. Etc.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Fred

He was one of the most competitive players the game has seen. Without a doubt he has the stats that backup an incredible career that would normally guarantee enshrinement in the Hall.

If you overlook his gambling on baseball and (in the opinion of the office of the commissioner) his inability to honestly detail his involvement in his gambling on baseball, then he should be in the Hall.

Manfred is probably following his gut as the other commissioners did that followed Giamatti. You have to figure that Giamatti's decision weighed heavily on himself and in no small part was a contributing factor in his death. The other commissioners have access to the same information as Giamatti and that's probably why they're not cutting Rose any slack.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Pete performed his job as a player well and 50% of me says yes.

The other 50% says no because given the type of human being he is, after getting into the Hall, his smugness will be sickening.
The second part of your statement could also apply to Curt Schilling. I don't think highly of Schilling as a person, but he should've been in by now and yes I support Pete.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:35 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
He should be in the Hall of Fame based on his career as a player.
I'm curious about this sentiment. Is there a line? If a clear cut hall of famer committed mass murder after his career but before elgible for the ballot should he be inducted into the hall based on baseball only, ignoring the heinous act? OJ Simpson comes to mind. What if the timing with OJ had been different? Should the player still be honored?
Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Character. He deserves it with what he did as a player. Yeah so his personality sucks and he made poor decisions, plenty of current HOF'ers have and have done worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I'm curious about this sentiment. Is there a line? If a clear cut hall of famer committed mass murder after his career but before elgible for the ballot should he be inducted into the hall based on baseball only, ignoring the heinous act? OJ Simpson comes to mind. What if the timing with OJ had been different? Should the player still be honored?
Tough as it is to say, he'd still be a Hall of Famer. I don't like O.J. Period. That said, having watched footage of him, the way he ran and the stuff he did as a player, few ever did it better. Even though he's a horrible human being, he was the complete opposite of that as an athlete.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:50 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
Tough as it is to say, he'd still be a Hall of Famer. I don't like O.J. Period. That said, having watched footage of him, the way he ran and the stuff he did as a player, few ever did it better. Even though he's a horrible human being, he was the complete opposite of that as an athlete.
While I agree Simpson was a hall of famer as a player I do not believe that he would have been inducted if the timing had been different. The NFL would never have allowed itself to honor somebody guilty of such an act. Regardless of qualifications.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 12-16-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Ruben

A BIG Yes. His performance on the field has HOF written all over. I think baseball needs to get over itself. The world we live in today has so many other issues that what Pete did is dwarfed and honestly is a joke that he is not in the HOF.
I feel both Pete and Shoeless Joe should be inducted into the HOF. Shoeless is no longer with us and Pete has been banned for 26 years. Lets not wait till he is 6 feet under then admit him.

There are many players in the HOF who did not have such stellar credentials off the field.
It is time for the commissioner to get with the times and put him on the Ballot.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 PM
JeR@Me

Default Rose will make HOF (when he kicks the can...)

I have been a Reds fan since I was a kid. I loved watching Pete play the game, but don't believe he deserves to be in the HOF right now. The rules are very clear. He broke them repeatedly, then his latest comments were he put the new Commissioner in a tough spot since he still bets on baseball. I am actually in a sick way sorta glad he won't get in and it appears it won't happen in his lifetime at least and that is perfectly ok with me. I like the idea of him and Joe being the 2 outcasts from the HOF. It makes their Legend more unique to me and I think it makes for a more interesting piece of history. Especially decades from now. I do however believe and predict that decades from now Pete and Joe both get in via special committee. (Rose will be dead when this happens). So, let the Legend grow as Joe's has over the next several decades, then the hearts will bleed, and both get a Hall pass.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 12-16-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post

There are many players in the HOF who did not have such stellar credentials off the field.
Yes, but the acts that are keeping Rose out of the Hall were not "off the field", they were committed while he was a manager, while he could impact games and while he was under the rules and jurisdiction of MLB.

That being said, I don't feel strongly either way. I respect his ability and accomplishments, but not his character.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Character. He deserves it with what he did as a player. Yeah so his personality sucks and he made poor decisions, plenty of current HOF'ers have and have done worse.

I think the people who want him in, and quite frankly some of the people who don't want him in, because of his "personality" or "character" are missing the point. He bet on Baseball. The Only rule that would keep him or anyone else out.
If he gets in, what would keep any current or future player from betting on "his team"? If you can bet on "your team" why not "the other team"? Hard to bet without being around gamblers. Baseball would be much less interesting (profitable) if it had the credibility of professional wrestling or horse racing and the owners/commissioner know it. Sorry Pete, you broke the only rule that matters.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
A BIG Yes. His performance on the field has HOF written all over. I think baseball needs to get over itself. The world we live in today has so many other issues that what Pete did is dwarfed and honestly is a joke that he is not in the HOF.
I feel both Pete and Shoeless Joe should be inducted into the HOF. Shoeless is no longer with us and Pete has been banned for 26 years. Lets not wait till he is 6 feet under then admit him.

It is time for the commissioner to get with the times and put him on the Ballot.
Absolutely agree. His performance as a player is definitely HOF. As I said before, his performance as a manager and the betting while a manager prevents him from being inducted as a manager.

As to the mass murder comments listed earlier, Rose did not murder anyone so those comments are not relavent. The Hall has no bilaws that specifically mention morality so this should not be a criteria for being inducted. Fergie Jenkins ( a wonderful human being in my opinion) was arrested for cocaine posession in an airport during his playing days and that did not stop him from being enshrined in the Hall so who are we to pass judgement? We are all human and we all make mistakes. It is time for Rose to be forgiven for his mistakes and baseball to get back to basics.

The Hall was meant to honor players for their talent and great careers, not to judge their morality.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:27 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

I can't believe how close this poll is.

For those who are voting that he get in are there any ........ circumstances ???? Such as letting the 8 men out back into baseball????
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 AM

Wasn't there a story on ESPN this year that he bet on baseball while he was a player?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post
Wasn't there a story on ESPN this year that he bet on baseball while he was a player?
Yes, outside the lines revealed there were documents and notebooks taken from his home during a search that showed he was betting as a player in 1986.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ll-player-1986

Last edited by bravesfan22; 12-17-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am a huge Pete Rose fan and while I do not want to see him reinstated I would let him on a HOF ballot.

Reinstatement is an MLB employment issue, not a HOF issue. The actual rule created in the wake of the Black Sox scandal, Rule 21, is so important to the game that it is written on every clubhouse wall. Pete Rose knew the rule and blatantly violated it as a player and as a manager. We can get all nitpicky as to whether he bet against his teams or only with his teams but there isn't much point to that because Rule 21 carries a mandatory sentence of baseball death: a lifetime ban from association or employment in the game.

Rose agreed to the sentence. He did not fight the case through to the end, he agreed. He accepted a plea bargain that he now regrets. As a lawyer, that doesn't cut it with me. I've actually been sued by an ex-client who accepted a settlement and decided later he didn't like it, so I am especially unforgiving of people who make their own beds then discover they don't really like laying in them.

The issue in the MLB decision is whether he is a fit potential employee, not whether he can participate in tribUtes. Rose admitted to Manfred during their meeting that he currently bets on baseball. So, despite submitting testimonials from experts to the effect that he is a compulsive gambler with an addiction, he is still betting on baseball. That would and should scare the hell out of anyone in MLB asked to reinstate Rose. If he is a compulsive gambler he really should not be put in a position to influence the outcome of games. He is the equivalent of an alcoholic trucker who has lost his job due to drunk driving applying for reinstatement and telling his potential boss that he is still a social drinker. Would you let that guy drive for you? For the same reasons, I disagree with the assertion that MLB is asking him to grovel or otherwise abase himself. All he is being asked to do is to provide credible evidence that he has his addiction under control, which he did not do.

Frankly, I find the attitude here to be too forgiving of our idols' clay feet at times: for example, I would never advocate for Joe Jackson to be in the HOF because he took money and agreed to throw the World Series. Screw him. A better analogy to Rose vis a vis MLB is Bill Mastro. Like Rose, he was arguably the best in his field and like Rose, he broke the rules and the law, and has accepted a sentence and ban [albeit self-imposed] which shocked and disappointed many of his fans. I don't care if Bill Mastro swears on a stack of bibles that he has reformed, I sure as hell would not ever bid in an auction he is running. I would feel the same as to Rose being involved with a team on the field. But the HOF is not an influence on the current game. He was one of the greatest players I ever saw so I'd let him at least get a vote before he dies. If the voters agree he should be out so be it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-17-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Brandon Bailey

Should be in the HOF without question.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:32 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

"Frankly, I find the attitude here to be too forgiving of our idols' clay feet at times:...."

+ how ever many votes voted for him to be in.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 12-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Pete Sycks

In as a player = Yes
In as a manager = nope

If it's 100% that he bet while a player then he shouldn't be in, but what he did as a coach shouldn't impact what he did on the field.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
While I agree Simpson was a hall of famer as a player I do not believe that he would have been inducted if the timing had been different. The NFL would never have allowed itself to honor somebody guilty of such an act. Regardless of qualifications.
If so then the Hall of Fame would be hypocrites since they are supposed to judge purely on on field accomplishments and not what happened off of it. If all of it happened when he was up for election, I'd have voted for O.J., though very begrudgingly. I hope he spends the rest of life behind bars.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Famous...

You know, it is the Hall of "FAME". As a player was Pete Rose famous? Seems ok with me for him to be banned for life for anything participatory baseball related. But you cannot deny he was ways more famous than a whole lot of players already in.

Same goes for Joe J. and Bo Jackson - both Famous in the truest sense of the word.

I would like to see all of them in the hall - because they are a part of significant baseball history.

And for them along with the steroid crowd, well, thats what asterisks are for.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Paul S

It really amazes me that they are keeping him out on "character" grounds from breaking a rule that is designed as a trip-wire. Gambling itself is not deemed harmful to the game unless it affects the game. The fear is that if gambling is allowed, it will lead to players and managers throwing games or cheating, as we saw in the early days of the 20th century. So players and managers are prohibited from gambling in order to ensure that they don't go that one step farther and harm the game.

No one, to my knowledge, has ever accused Pete Rose of cheating or throwing games. At most, he is guilty of using insider information that he gleaned as a player and manager to gain an unfair advantage in his betting. He was not gaining an unfair advantage against his baseball opponents, just against bookies and his gambling opponents. The bookies ought to be the ones upset. They ought to ban him from the gambling Hall of Fame. His only harm to the game of baseball was that he broke a rule and set a poor example to little kids. That may be reason not to admire or emulate him, but not to keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

Last edited by pbspelly; 12-17-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan22 View Post
Yes, outside the lines revealed there were documents and notebooks taken from his home during a search that showed he was betting as a player in 1986.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ll-player-1986
It's pretty clear that Rose bet on baseball for at least his last 3 years as a player. Irregardless, Pete knew that what he was doing against the rules, permanent banishment and no hof, see Joe Jackson. Pete still chose to bet. He should just accept the punishment, but Pete thinks he is bigger than the game. He should never be allowed in the hof.

Even putting him on the ballot sends a poor example. If you are good enough, we will just ignore the rules for you. Athletes and gambling should never mix, it is what differentiates mlb from wwe.

For those saying he didn't bet against the Reds, wrong. Everytime he didn’t bet on the Reds, he was betting against them. Don't be naive. The gamblers saw this and used this info, that Pete would not be managing to win like when he had money on the game. Pete's actions harmed the game and the need for fair play. He is getting what he deserves.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

He has already been on the ballot for three years. His highest percent was 9.5%. I think that he still wouldn't be in even if allowed on the ballot, just like proven juicers are allowed on yet don't make it in.

Everyone knows he was good. Just like everyone knows Joe Jackson was good. HOF collectors already know this and adjust their collecting accordingly so it really doesn't matter if they do or don't get in because their legacies will still hold up.

If they were borderline HOF players then it may have made a difference, but at this point it just doesn't seem to matter.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM

I say let him in after he has passed away. That way he never gets to enjoy his "day" because of his transgressions but yet he ultimately winds up where he should be.

Rob M.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Jay Shelton

Rule 21.d (part 2):
http://seanlahman.com/files/rose/rule21.html

"Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

That would include a player, coach, manager, etc.

Black and white to me. He bet. He got caught. Permanently ineligible.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 PM

I don't have a lot of heartburn over placing Rose on the ballot for the Hall, although I would not vote for his induction. Pete instead deserves his own display -- one that tells the whole story: the good, the bad and the ugly.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
I don't have a lot of heartburn over placing Rose on the ballot for the Hall, although I would not vote for his induction. Pete instead deserves his own display -- one that tells the whole story: the good, the bad and the ugly.
i think all the tainted guys (who are good enough) should be in the HOF telling the whole story of each one of them the good, the bad and the ugly

how you may not have pete, arod, bonds joe Jackson, and many others not in is crazy to me.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post

+1...Just ask anyone that knew Ty Cobb...
Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Kenny Cole

No
Old 12-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Grant Rainsley

After he is gone......he doesn't deserve the smug satisfaction that he would display.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 12-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Skip

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Rule 21.d (part 2):
http://seanlahman.com/files/rose/rule21.html

"Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

That would include a player, coach, manager, etc.

Black and white to me. He bet. He got caught. Permanently ineligible.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Default Rule 21?

Didn't Major League Baseball permit Pete Rose to "associate" with the other players elected to the All Century Team. I believe it was before a World Series game in the late 90's. It was 30 minutes of baseball history on National television with Rose appearing on the field with some of the greats of all time.
I guess rule 21 was waived for the night! Why? Sam Majors
Old 12-17-2015, 07:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I wonder how much money Pete Rose lost when he bet on O.J. Simpson being convicted.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 PM
D0NN1E B

Wow! What a great turnout. I've really enjoyed reading through all the comments pro and con. I see both sides of the argument but I still come down on the side of letting him in. I know he screwed up but I just think its been long enough, time served. When Rule 21 was introduced it was for the purpose of cleaning up what was a corrupt game. With contracts what they are today we are in no danger of reverting back to the problems with gambling that plagued the game in its early days. So I think the 26 year banishment has served the same purpose in showing players how serious the league is as a lifetime ban would show.

Last edited by Mountaineer1999; 12-17-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Don

I don't see how what Rose did affects his stats, which is what his induction would be based on.

Contrast that with the PED generation - Sosa, McGwire, Bonds etc. They deserve not only to be banned from the HOF but have their stats erased from the record books completely.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Jeff

nope

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Greg Mitchell

I am surprised and disappointed by the poll results and pro-Rose arguments--on this site, where I'd expect different. Take this simple test: Let's say you are a big Cubs fan. Let's say Joe Madden next spring announced that he was going to bet on baseball games all year but, hey, NOT on the Cubs to lose, never, take my word for it, and I'd never fudge it. Wouldn't you then question, or at least wonder about, every odd move (and he would, like all managers, make a few) in any game? Holding back an ace reliever or putting him in a game that didn't seem that important? Pinch-hitting choices? Resting players at odd times? And on and on. Wouldn't that sort of ruin your rooting enjoyment all season? And think Madden was wrecking enjoyment of baseball?

Plus there's no proof that Rose DIDN'T bet on his team to lose.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:06 AM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
I am surprised and disappointed by the poll results and pro-Rose arguments--on this site, where I'd expect different. Take this simple test: Let's say you are a big Cubs fan. Let's say Joe Madden next spring announced that he was going to bet on baseball games all year but, hey, NOT on the Cubs to lose, never, take my word for it, and I'd never fudge it. Wouldn't you then question, or at least wonder about, every odd move (and he would, like all managers, make a few) in any game? Holding back an ace reliever or putting him in a game that didn't seem that important? Pinch-hitting choices? Resting players at odd times? And on and on. Wouldn't that sort of ruin your rooting enjoyment all season? And think Madden was wrecking enjoyment of baseball?

I think we all acknowledge the crime. I think most in the YES camp feel the 26 year ban should serve as the punishment. If they trust their HOF voters to do the right thing then he will lose the HOF vote anyway. Joe Jackson was on the ballot so lets give Pete the same opportunity.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:33 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I don't see how what Rose did affects his stats, which is what his induction would be based on.

Contrast that with the PED generation - Sosa, McGwire, Bonds etc. They deserve not only to be banned from the HOF but have their stats erased from the record books completely.
Just curious. Why? Because they cheated? Because what they did was illegal? Because it gave them an edge?

What is you view on existing members of the HOF who did the same? Should they be removed?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

All you bleeding hearts come out in favor of that BUM. The rule is NO betting on Baseball. Period. He knew it. He did it. He is not above the rules. Screw Pete Rose. Letting him in the hall would be a disgrace.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Just curious. Why? Because they cheated? Because what they did was illegal? Because it gave them an edge?

What is you view on existing members of the HOF who did the same? Should they be removed?
What players are you talking about? I am not aware of any evidence against existing members of the hof. I have heard acquisitions against Henderson without proof, like Piazza and Bagwell. Barry Bonds admitted under oath that he used steroids, the clear and the cream. If you can provide similar evidence that any current hofer used steroids, then I would favor removing them. Even though I doubt it would ever happen. I don't think there is even a way to expel members from the hof.

Last edited by rats60; 12-18-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post

Good argument but for me, I voted no because he has never come clean. If he did that then I would consider it. (not a shoe in by any means, his playing days aside) In other words, no doubt he would be in on his playing days alone but, even if he comes clean, it's still not a shoe in....but I would consider it. As it is, from what I know now, no way.